Join the TranzAlpine Train at Christchurch to enjoy a one or two night stay with options of cooked breakfast, tours, rental car and hotpools
Recent Positive Reviews
All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
What You'll Get
Adventurers hop on the famous TranzAlpine train from Christchurch to Greymouth for a two or three day package filled with various activities. Boasting world-class carriages with specially designed viewing windows and comfortable seating, the train is ideal for spectating the misty scenery of the Southern Alps. Those looking for perfect photo opportunities can also make use of the open air carriage. The trip takes around four to five hours, but there’s no need to worry about thirst and hunger - the train features an on-board licensed cafe.
The 2 day package includes accommodation at the Kingsgate Hotel, located in close vicinity to the train station, and features a hearty cooked buffet breakfast each. Choose one of the following activities:
The activities can be swapped for a rental car so that sightseers can spend the day in any way they wish.
3 day package
- Guests can choose between the Kingsgate Hotel (including buffet breakfast each), or one of the three holiday houses.
- Choose one of the following activities as seen above: Cycle rail trail, Gold hunting, Glow worm caves or Pancake Rocks
- In addition, the package includes the use of a rental car for up to 350 kilometres, and an entry to Franz Josef Glacier Hot Pools.
All packages include a return train trip and a voucher for a house beverage with each main meal at the Kingsgate Hotel restaurant. Low season dates also receive vouchers for 30% off Stewart’s fine art landscape photographic prints at the Nimmo Gallery and Store in Greymouth, and 30% off Jade carvings from a local carver. All vouchers must be collected from the tour office in Greymouth.
- 7.45 am: Check in to the Christchurch Railway Station in Troupe Dr, Christchurch where your tour starts
- 8.15 am: Depart Christchurch Rail Station on the Tranz Alpine Train
- 12.45 pm: Arrive Greymouth & check in at your accommodation (included)
- 1.15 pm: Depart for your afternoon tour (included, choose from one to the left) or collect rental car
8 am: If you did a tour the day before then you’ll collect your rental car now. This morning we will provide suggestions of places that you can visit at your own pace among the Beautiful West Coast Scenery. It is a nice drive to the Glaciers where you can use your Hotpools Entry voucher.
- 12 pm: Return your rental car to the tour office
- 1.30 pm: Check in to the Greymouth rail Station for your train trip back to Christchurch
- 2 pm: Depart on the train back to Christchurch
- 6.30 pm: Arrive Christchurch Railway Station where your tour ends (note that the train can arrive back late)
Choose from 10 Options
Low Season: 31 July until 20 Sep 2018
- $299 per person for a TranzAlpine return rail trip with one-night hotel stay, min 2 people, twin share
- $449 per person for a TranzAlpine return rail trip with two-night hotel stay, min 2 people, twin share
- $361 per person for a TranzAlpine return rail trip with two-night classic holiday house stay, min 4 people, quad share
- $375 per person for a TranzAlpine return rail trip with two-night executive holiday house stay, min 4 people, quad share
$424 per person for a TranzAlpine return rail trip with two-night deluxe holiday house stay, min 4 people, quad share
- Travel in the low season must be completed by 20th September
High Season (21 Sep 2018 - 30 Apr 2019)
- $827 per person for a TranzAlpine return rail trip with one-night hotel stay, min 2 people, twin share
- $1,228 per person for a TranzAlpine return rail trip with two-night hotel stay, min 2 people, twin share
- $957 per person for a TranzAlpine return rail trip with two-night classic holiday house stay, min 4 people, quad share
- $980 per person for a TranzAlpine return rail trip with two-night executive holiday house stay, min 4 people, quad share
$1,098 per person for a TranzAlpine return rail trip with two-night deluxe holiday house stay, min 4 people, quad share
- Travel in the high season must be completed by 30th April 2019
For holiday house bookings in both seasons, purchase of at least 4 vouchers is required. No single stay options.
For a more detailed itinerary for the two day package, see this page.
For a more detailed itinerary for the three day package, see this page.
To see the tour operators 2 day package please go here.
To see the tour operators 3 day package please go here.
To view the Kingsgate hotel please go here.
To view the holiday houses please go here.
The Fine Print
• Fixed Travel Periods:
Low Season: 31 July until 20 Sep 2018
High Season: 30 Apr 2019 (Must book by: 16 Apr 2019)
• Call +64 (03) 768 6649 or email merchant at firstname.lastname@example.org to check preferred date availability before purchasing
• Prices are per person based on 2 people travelling together (twin share) or based on 4 or more people travelling together (quad share)
• Limit of 10 vouchers per person
• Purchase up to 5 additional as gifts
• May buy multiple vouchers for groups
• Kingsgate Hotel accommodation options are based on 2 people staying in twin or double room; single rooms are available for a $109 per night surcharge
• Holiday House options are priced at minimum 4 people per night, but they can accommodate up to 10 people; groups of less than 4 will incur a surcharge
• Kingsgate Hotel stay includes cooked buffet breakfast served at Kingsgate Restaurant, return train fares and 1 activity tour for 2 people; activity can be swapped for a rental car including up to 150km
• Holiday House stay includes return train fares, rental car for second and third day with up to 350km (surcharge applies for exceeding this distance), entry to Franz Josef Hotpool (to be collected from Gold Coast NZ Tour Office), and activity tour or rental car on first day. Rental car for first day includes up to 150km (surcharge applies for exceeding this distance)
• Once your booking is confirmed and you have received your itinerary, you cannot make changes during the low season
• For high season bookings you may be able to make adjustments but it is subject to available dates and requires at least 14 days notice prior to booking date
• Credit card details required for accommodation and car rental to cover damage security
• Holiday house check-in from 4pm; check-out at 10am
• Room upgrades may be available for a surcharge; enquire at check-in
• Activities with Gold Coast NZ Tours are all dependent on: minimum numbers, availability and weather conditions
Low season: Cancellation of tours due to weather or other safety issues will not constitute a refund. Alternative activity may be offered at operator's discretion. High Season. If any part of your package cannot proceed you will be offered an alternative or if not available a refund for that sector.
• TranzAlpine Train departs Christchurch at 8.15am (check-in at 7.45am) and arrives approximately at 1.05pm at Greymouth
• Return passage arrives at Christchurch approximately at 6.31pm (departing Greymouth at 2.05pm)
• Trains can run late; do not make your connecting times too tight in case of delays. Operators are not responsible for any costs if you miss a connection
• Activities commence approximately at 1.15pm on day of arrival (see website for full details)
• It is advised you do not arrange connecting travel until after your package date has been confirmed in writing as merchant and Groupon will not be liable for any losses if package dates are not available to suit prearranged connections
• During low season dates also receive vouchers for 30% off Stewart's fine art landscape photographic prints at Nimmo Gallery and Store in Greymouth, and 30% off Jade carvings from local carver. To redeem bonus offers, collect your voucher from the Gold Coast NZ Tour office
• Every package includes voucher to be collected from the Gold Coast NZ Tours office for a house beverage with each main meal purchased when dining at the restaurant in Kingsgate Hotel Greymouth
• Credit card must be presented for car rental. Damage excess hold of $3,500 + GST will be applied to your card by the rental car providers. This insurance excess can be reduced to $400 + GST by paying additional $35 + GST per day. This payment is optional and made and organised directly to the rental car provider
• To see the houses and to check their availability people can go to this page https://goldcoastnewzealand.com/Holiday-house-deal
• Full Kingsgate Hotel conditions: Click Here
• Full Holiday House conditions: Click Here
• Full rental car conditions: Click Here
• Full train conditions: Click Here
• Full package and operator conditions: Click Here
• Travel insurance not included; customers are advised to purchase appropriate cover after booking
• Read more about purchase options and common Travel Terms here
• Standard fine print which applies to all travel promotions
How to Redeem
• Bookings must be made at least 5 days prior to the tour departure date
• Email to book: email@example.com
• Phone to book: +64 (03) 768 6649
• Gold Coast Tours NZ will then confirm your booking and send you all the instructions and your itinerary
• Present printed or smartphone voucher on arrival
• The transaction confirmation email is not the voucher. Please find your voucher under 'My Purchases' on the website or Groupon app to obtain the security code.
• Download free Groupon app for Android and iOS