Experience the majestic Tongariro National Park and feel the crisp mountain air as you follow your expert guide across the Tongariro Alpine Crossing for a view of the volcanic landscape, springs, and beautiful lakes during this 8-hour trek. Soak in the snowy white expanse in the winter or the lush, blooming beauty during summer on your 19km hike. Learn about the secrets and history of the scenic landscape around you. Travel through the numerous volcanic craters, mountain springs, and vivid emerald lakes - natural wonders that leave you inspired and breathless. Notice the gradual change in flora as you climb higher in altitude. Witness the grandeur of Mount Ngauruhoe, which lies between Mount Tongariro, Mount Ruapehu, and a multitude of complex, active volcanoes.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Tongariro Alpine Crossing, Off State Highway 48 Mangatepopo Valley, Whakapapa Village, Tongariro National Park New Zealand
A great one day walk
Duration: 9 hours
Stop At: Mt Ruapehu, Tongariro National Park New Zealand
Stunning volcanic mountain
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Tongariro National Park Visitor Centre (Whakapapa Visitor Centre), State Highway 48, Whakapapa, Tongariro National Park New Zealand
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: Adrift Tongariro, 53 Carroll Street Tongariro National Park, National Park Village 3948 New Zealand
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Mount Ngauruhoe, Tongariro National Park, Turangi New Zealand
A steep volcanic mountain showcased on Lord of the Rings as Mt Doom
Duration: 1 hour
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of 2 people is required for this tour to operate. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Minimum age is 10 years
- If you are traveling alone please book as the tour does generally meet minimum numbers, especially on good weather days
- A reasonably good level of fitness is required. If you are concerned about your fitness please let your guide know before commencing the walk
- Transfers from Taupo, Turangi, Ohakune and Whakapapa Village are available on request for an additional charge. All transfers require a minimum of 2 people. We do not offer Ohakune transfers in winter.
- Summer Gear List: Water (1-2 litres), Personal medications (e.g. Asthma Inhaler, blister protection etc), sun hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, backpack per person, hiking boots/shoes, walking trousers, 1 light top and 2 warm top layers (wool, merino, thermals, fleece, soft shell etc. are good layers), Waterproof raincoat.
- Winter Gear List: Water (1-1.5 litres), Personal medications (e.g. Asthma Inhaler, blister protection etc), sunscreen, sunglasses, backpack per person, hiking boots, thermal longs and/or walking trousers & over-trousers, 3 warm top layers (wool, merino, thermals, fleece, soft shell etc. are good layers), Waterproof raincoat, Warm hat and gloves.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 60 travelers
- Professional guide
- All mountain equipment required (including crampons and ice axes during winter)
- Round-trip shared transfer from the Adrift Tongariro base
- Lunch (summer only)
- $40 of clothing and footwear hire (boots $20, clothing $10 per item)
- Adrift has all equipment, boots and clothing for hire for your safety and comfort on the day
- Transport from Taupo, Turangi, Ohakune, National Park & Whakapapa Villages available at a surcharge
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Adrift Tongariro in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.