For those who want a little more try a full day Ruapehu Guided Walk. Mt. Ruapehu is the highest (2797m), of the three active andesitic volcanoes in the Tongariro National Park. The last eruption on Mt. Ruapehu was in 2007. Join us for lunch on top of the North Island highest volcano from where you can gaze down into the geothermal waters of the crater lake. Please note this is not a track and is less stable walking than on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Adrift Tongariro, 53 Carroll Street Tongariro National Park, National Park Village 3948 New Zealand
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Mt Ruapehu, Tongariro National Park New Zealand
A great mountain hiking experience
Duration: 8 hours
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of 2 people is required for this tour to operate. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Minimum age is 10 years
- Transfers from Taupo, Turangi, Ohakune and Whakapapa Village are available on request for an additional charge. All transfers require a minimum of 2 people. We do not offer Ohakune transfers in winter.
- Please note this is not a track and is less stable walking than on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.
- This walk requires a good level of fitness. The terrain is uneven and steep in places. It is possible to take the walk as far as Knoll Ridge Cafe if you are concerned about your fitness.
- During winter and times of snow, surface conditions will vary from day to day. Crampons and ices axes are required and your guide will provide instruction on how to use them correctly.
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Summer Gear List: Water (1-2 litres), Personal medications (e.g. Asthma Inhaler, blister protection etc), sun hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, backpack per person, hiking boots/shoes, walking trousers, 1 light top and 2 warm top layers (wool, merino, thermals, fleece, soft shell etc. are good layers), Waterproof raincoat.
- Winter Gear List: Water (1-1.5 litres), Personal medications (e.g. Asthma Inhaler, blister protection etc), sunscreen, sunglasses, backpack per person, hiking boots, thermal longs and/or walking trousers & over-trousers, 3 warm top layers (wool, merino, thermals, fleece, soft shell etc. are good layers), Waterproof raincoat, Warm hat and gloves.
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 60 travelers
- Professional guide
- All mountain equipment required (including crampons and ice axes during winter)
- Round-trip shared transfer from the Adrift Tongariro base
- There is a shop which has all equipment, boots and clothing for hire to supplement that which you don’t have that the team deems necessary to ensure that you are safe and comfortable with the weather and environment for the day. There is a $40 free allowance for clothing and boots. Boots are $15, all clothing is $10 per item.
- Transport from Taupo, Turangi, Ohakune, National Park & Whakapapa Villages available at a surcharge
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Adrift Tongariro in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.