Save $50 and enjoy a guided Tongariro Alpine Crossing walk, New Zealand’s best day one day walk one day and a guided hike to the top of Mt Ruapehu, the largest of the three volcanoes in Tongariro National Park the next.
Experience the majestic Tongariro National Park and feel the crisp mountain air as you follow your expert guide across the Tongariro Alpine Crossing for a view of the volcanic landscape, springs, and beautiful lakes during this 8-hour trek. Soak in the snowy white expanse in the winter or the lush, blooming beauty during summer on your 19km hike. Learn about the secrets and history of the scenic landscape around you. Travel through the numerous volcanic craters, mountain springs, and vivid emerald lakes - natural wonders that leave you inspired and breathless. Notice the gradual change in flora as you climb higher in altitude. Witness the grandeur of Mount Ngauruhoe, which lies between Mount Tongariro, Mount Ruapehu, and a multitude of complex, active volcanoes.
What You'll Get
Day 1: Tongariro Alpine Crossing Guided Walk
Stop At: Tongariro Alpine Crossing, Off State Highway 48 Mangatepopo Valley, Whakapapa Village, Tongariro National Park New Zealand
This 19km trek is New Zealand’s best day one-day walk. The track leads up to the saddle between Mt. Ngauruhoe and Mt. Tongariro. The landscape on Tongariro is peppered with different coloured and shaped craters that have been active at different periods, scoured volcanic rocks, mountain springs and brightly coloured emerald lakes.
Summer offers a majestic landscape of recent resultant volcanic activity. There is a vast array of colours and textures created from Sulphur, Aluminium, Silica, and many other mineral deposits released from within the Earth’s Crust. In summer this track can get crowded and where possible, we take our clients away from the masses while making sure that the popular sights are still experienced.
Winter offers the opportunity to walk through the magnificent snow-covered landscape without the summer crowds. No outdoor experience is necessary, all training and tuition is given on the day. Crampons and ice-axes are supplied by Adrift Tongariro for a fantastic alpine experience.
Duration: 8 hours
Stop At: Mount Ngauruhoe, Tongariro National Park, Turangi New Zealand
A steep volcanic mountain showcased on Lord of the Rings as Mt Doom
Duration: 1 hour
No accommodation included on this day.
Day 2: Mt Ruapehu Crater Lake Walk
Stop At: Mt Ruapehu, Sh1 Central North Island, Tongariro National Park 3951 New Zealand
For those who like a manageable challenge, we offer a full day Ruapehu Guided Walk. Mt. Ruapehu is the highest (2797m) of the three active andesitic volcanoes in the Tongariro National Park. The last eruption on Mt. Ruapehu was in 2007. Join us for lunch on top of the North Island highest volcano from where you can gaze down into the geothermal waters of the crater lake. Please note this is not a track and is less stable walking than on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.
Duration: 8 hours
No accommodation included on this day.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- A minimum of 2 people is required for this tour to operate. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Minimum age is 10 years
- Transfers from Taupo, Turangi, Ohakune and Whakapapa Village are available on request for an additional charge. All transfers require a minimum of 2 people. We do not offer Ohakune transfers in winter.
- The Mt Ruapehu Crater Lake walk requires a good level of fitness. The terrain is uneven and steep in places. It is possible to take the walk as far as Knoll Ridge Cafe if you are concerned about your fitness.
- Gear List: Water (1-2 litres), Personal medications (e.g. Asthma Inhaler, blister protection etc), sun hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, backpack per person, hiking boots/shoes, walking trousers, 1 light top and 2 warm top layers (wool, merino, thermals, fleece, soft shell etc. are good layers), Waterproof raincoat.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Offer valid until 31 March 2020 for trip dates between November 9 2019 - and 31 March 2020. Minimum of 2 people required.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 50 travelers
- 2x Lunch
- transport between the Adrift Tongariro base and the activity
- crampons and ice axes if required for winter conditions
- clothing and footwear hire
- Entry/Admission - Tongariro Alpine Crossing
- Entry/Admission - Mount Ngauruhoe
- Entry/Admission - Mt Ruapehu
- Transport from Taupo, Turangi, Ohakune, National Park & Whakapapa Villages. Additional charges apply
53 Carroll Street, National Park 3948, New Zealand
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Adrift Tongariro in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.