The Tongariro Crossing is one of New Zealand’s best one day walks. Spectacular scenery. Two active volcanoes. Snow and ice, fun and safe. Culturally significant with natural and cultural UNESCO World Heritage status. No previous alpine experience is required. We provide training for crampons and ice axes once the group crosses the snow line.Small groups, one guide to every 8 hikers. All our guides are certified by the New Zealand Outdoor Instructors Association.All alpine equipment and clothing is provided.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Mount Ngauruhoe, Tongariro National Park, Turangi New Zealand
Mt Ngauruhoe is the youngest of the three active volcanoes in Tongariro National Park @ 'only' 7500 years old. It last erupted in 1975.
The most spectacular landmark on the Tongariro skyline. Hikers ascend the lower slopes via the Devil's Staircase (364 steps) and skirt around the base of the cone.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Tongariro Alpine Crossing, Off State Highway 48 Mangatepopo Valley, Whakapapa Village, Tongariro National Park New Zealand
A 19.4 kilometre hike over snow and ice.
Climbs from 1100 metres to 1868 metres at its highest point, then descends to finish at 750 metres.
Duration: 8 hours
Stop At: Tongariro Northern Circuit, Ngauruhoe Terrace, Tongariro National Park 3989 New Zealand
Hikers will cover the leg of the Tongariro Northern Circuit trail that runs from Mangatepopo Hut to the Emerald Lakes.
Duration: 4 hours
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not suitable for infants or children under 12 years old.
- Not recommended for travelers recovering from an injury or operation.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
- We will provide you with all the necessary alpine equipment. This includes boots, overtrousers, jackets, fleece tops and bottoms, ice axes, helmets, crampons, and backpacks. Training is also included.
- Lunch - We recommend good solid sandwiches or rolls, energy food like chocolate and dried fruit, and fresh fruit.
- Bottled water - Hikers need 1.5 - 2 litres of fresh water for the hike.
- Sunglasses, beanies, gloves
Traveler pickup is offered
We pick up from commercial accommodation in Taupo, Turangi, National Park and Whakapapa Village.
We will confirm pick up times at the time of booking. Generally tours depart Taupo 0545, Turangi 06:40AM, National Park Village 7:00AM and Whakapapa 7:15AM.
Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 8/14/2019 - 10/25/2019Monday - Sunday:07:00 AM - 04:00 PM
7 to 8 hours
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Adventure Outdoors Tongariro NZ in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.