The fly-in, fly-out helihike combines the excitement of walking on the Fox Glacier with the thrill of helicopter flights. By flying in you are able to access and explore a part of the glacier where its forces work hardest and often create spectacular ice caves and arches. Each departure is a true voyage of exploration. There are so many changing features that the guides always find something new. Weather permitting; ice time is up to 3 hours.
What You'll Get
The fly-in, fly-out helihike combines the excitement of walking on the Fox Glacier with the thrill of helicopter flights. By flying in you are able to access and explore a part of the glacier where its forces work hardest and often create spectacular ice caves and arches.
Equipped with sturdy leather boots and other equipment, you board the helicopter for your first flight over the pinnacles of the lower icefall. Here, the ice is in constant motion. Take in views of the dramatic upper icefall and Victoria Falls, which is the melt river from the hidden Victoria glacier, before landing.
Your landing site on the ice is a remote and exceptionally beautiful part of the glacier. At this stage, your guide outfits you with crampons, specially designed for these ice conditions and you follow the ice steps cut by your guide as you explore the amazing formations and ice caves which are only seen here.
Each departure is a true voyage of exploration. There are so many changing features that the guides always find something new. Weather permitting; ice time is up to 3 hours.
Please note that this is a natural and ever changing environment. Ice features change constantly and no guarantee can be given that specific features will be seen.
Some fitness and agility is required.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum Age is 9 years
- Child Age is 9-16 years inclusive
- Minimum numbers apply
- Subject to favourable weather conditions, a weather call is made 10 minutes prior to check in so flexibility in your itinerary is desirable
- Individual passenger weight limit is 116 kg or less due to weight and balance calculations of the aircraft
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 11 travelers
- Two helicopter transfers
- Professional Guide
- Ground transport
- Leather boots and socks
- Walking poles
- Wet Weather Jacket and Over trousers (if required)
- What to Bring:
- 3 - 4 layers of warm upper body clothing
- Sunglasses and sun protection
- Jeans are not recommended - Cotton pants or trackpants are more suitable
- A day pack is useful and a drink and snacks are a good idea
- Your own boots and raincoats may be suitable
- For winter trips bring a warm hat and gloves
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Alpine Guides Fox Glacier Ltd Trading as Fox Glacier Guiding in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.