Our Maori guides will share ancient legends and help you find New Zealand’s most coveted treasure, Greenstone, on a guided walk along the sacred Arahura river. Your local guides have a unique connection to the Arahura river known as one of the richest sources of Pounamu and the local area that goes back many generations, and enjoy sharing their knowledge and love of Te tai o Poutini (West Coast) and the Arahura river. You will be able to find small pieces of Pounamu (greenstone) on our 2-hour tour, and learn to carve this precious stone into a taonga (treasure) to cherish forever. Our Arahura Greenstone tours operate all year round, weather permitting.
What You'll Get
You will begin at Arahura Bridge Heritage Park. From there you will be guided through the Arahura Pa (Tribal Village) and then on a journey along the Arahura river, while learning the history of the Kati Waewae Hapu.
Our guides will:
• share their local knowledge with you, which includes the history of the region and the Arahura river
• on the tour you will hear the beautiful bird song of the native birds that live near the river and the guides will explain what bird was singing or calling
• give you the opportunity to soak your feet in a river that is free from contaminants and the impact of modern man
• show you how to identify greenstone in its natural environment
• reveal the legends of the Arahura river greenstone that are sacred to the Kati Waewae Hapu
• finally, on the piece of stone that you have found, you have an opportunity to make a necklace so you have a keepsake of your tour that you can keep close to your heart.Refreshments will be provided at the end of the tour.
Our guided tours are an easy walk over flat ground and river stones, but please be prepared to get your feet wet; however, this is all part of your Greenstone Tour Experience.
What to bring:
• warm clothing
• sensible footwear
• a smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Most travelers can participate
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- A maximum of 15 people per booking
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Afternoon tea
- Transportation to/from attractions
7kms North of Hokitika on the West Coast of the South Island
All tour times are approximate and subject to change due to weather conditions and tides.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the arahura greenstone tours ltd in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.