Push yourself mentally and physically by learning to lead climb in New Zealand’s premier (and most scenic) sport climbing venue.This course teaches the essentials for leading bolted sport routes. It is also a must do for people who had a friend teach them but want to check they have good and safe techniques.We keep our ratios small (1:4 max), so the course is tailored to you and our instructors always check what you already know (of course you may not have any lead climbing knowledge). Don’t worry if you don’t have any equipment, we provide all equipment necessary, you are welcome to use your own if you have some.
What You'll Get
Meet your Guide at Basecamp Wanaka Climbing Centre, or we can pick you up from your Wanaka accommodation if you wish. We'll begin with a short briefing and you'll be outfitted with all the equipment you will require.
Your guide will take you to the most suitable climbing location for the group, choosing from a range of climbs where you can learn the essentials of lead climbing. Enjoy the sun, the mountain views, and the company of your group as you climb together on the doorstep of Mt Aspiring National Park.
This course covers;
• Quickdraw/runner placement – how to correctly place the quickdraw on your harness and the rock.
• Clipping methods – efficient ways of clipping the rope into the quickdraw
• Safety considerations – when to clip, spotting, rope management, buddy checks
We also offer an advanced lead climbing course, where your prior skills are acknowledged and built on including safe rope changeovers and self-protected abseiling.
We'll spend the maximum possible time on the rock, so you get real value from your half day with us, learning the skills you need to keep yourself safe while lead climbing. After a full day of climbing, we head back to the vehicle, and we return you to our meeting point, for a well-deserved rest.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Most travelers can participate
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 16 years. For children, contact us to discuss their suitability
- You must be able to safely wear a harness and helmet
- Operates in most weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- If cancelled due to very poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date, an indoor climbing experience or a refund
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 4 travelers
- Professional, qualified guide/instructor
- All technical equipment (harness, climbing shoes, helmet)
- Courtesy transport to and from the climbing areas
- Food and drinks
Basecamp Wanaka Climbing Centre
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Basecamp Adventures in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.