When your cruise ship docks in Akaroa, take a shore excursion to witness dolphins in their natural environment. Akaroa’s beautiful sheltered harbor is the only place on the planet where you can enter the water and see these beautiful creatures wild Hector’s dolphins up close, also known as the New Zealand dolphin. With a maximum of 12 participants, this tour provides a fun-filled small-group experience.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Black Cat Cruises, Main Wharf Akaroa Harbour Wharf, Akaroa 8841 New Zealand
Catch the tender to the main wharf when your cruise ship docks in Akaroa, making sure to arrive at least 30 minutes before your cruise departs.
As your cruise heads into the calm waters of Akaroa Harbour, enjoy an on-board safety briefing from the highly trained crew.
Learn how to enjoy the animals in their nature environment with without disturbing them and what to expect during your dolphin experience. Your crew are also on hand to offer tips and assistance if you’re new to snorkeling and wearing a wetsuit. All equipment is provided, including wetsuit, masks and snorkel, and there are hot showers available after your swim.
Cruise out onto the harbor in a heated and covered jet-powered boat, then jump into the water to encounter New Zealand’s rare Hector’s dolphins. These mammals swim up to meet the boat, and their calves can be seen between October and March. Watch the dolphins dive and swim up close in the water, and hear them chuckle as they play.
If you’d rather stay dry on board, enjoy the Dolphin Watch experience and the amazing spectacle of seeing your friends or family swimming and interacting with the dolphins in the water.
Akoroa Harbour is a sheltered bay, the flooded crater of an extinct volcano surrounded by awe-inspiring volcanic cliffs. With a group limit of 12 people per vessel, the dolphin experience tour means it will be an even more intimate experience.
The 3-hour dolphin tour is very popular due to the limited number of passengers permitted per departure.
This excursion is located within a 5-minute walk to the cruise port, so you determine the time you return to your ship in Akaroa. Please allow yourself ample time to enjoy the excursion and ensure your timely return to the port. This excursion is not covered by our worry-free policy.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- All swimmers must be physically fit and able to swim 50 meters unaided and be confident in open sea conditions
- Minimum age to enter the water is 8 years
- Children 8-12 years must be accompanied by an adult swimmer
- Children 13-16 years must be accompanied by an adult spectator
- Please bring sun protection, swim suit, towels and a light jacket
- You will be guaranteed a safe and memorable dolphin encounter. Receive a 50% refund if no dolphins are found and a 25% refund if dolphins are found but you are unable to enter the water. In the last 12 months dolphins, were spotted on 98% of cruises, with successful water entry on 81% of cruises.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Wetsuit, mask, and fins provided (for those swimming)
- Hot beverage after swim
- Full on-board commentary
- Hot showers
- Photo pack available to be purchased on the day
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- This excursion is not covered by our worry-free policy
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Black Cat Cruises in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.