Experience the pleasures of a 1.5 hour horse ride on the Banks of the Waimakariri River, with magnificent and breathtaking views of the Southern Alps.
You will be collected from your centrally located Christchruch accommodation and taken approximately 25 minutes from the city center of Christchurch. An experienced teacher will accompany you on the trek and is available to provide advice and assistance. There are treks and horses available for both the beginner and experienced rider.
What You'll Get
After pickup from your centrally located hotel in Christchurch, you’re driven approximately 25 minutes from the city center to the banks of the Waimakariri River. On arrival, you’re matched with a horse for your trek, whether you’re a beginner or a more experienced rider. During your 1.5-hour guided horseback ride, led by an experienced instructor, marvel at stunning alpine views — a perfect outing for the entire family. You’ll travel through the pastoral landscapes of the Canterbury Plains to the foothills of the Southern Alps. Colloquially known as ‘The Waimak,’ the braided Waimakariri River flows all the way to the Pacific Ocean and is one of the region’s largest rivers.
If you’d like, combine your Waimakariri horse trekking experience with other attractions: Jet-Boat RideZip along the narrow canyon of Waimakariri Gorge on an exhilarating jet-boat ride. Brace yourself for a wild ride as you twist and turn down the gorge at high speed — a thrill to remember.
Sheep Farm Visit, See sheep dogs at work, rounding up the flock and penning them for you to pet. Watch a sheep shearing demonstration and have the opportunity to try your hand at it as well.
• Leisure Tours, Christchurch New Zealand
• Waimakariri River, Main North Road Canterbury Region New Zealand
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for child aged 6 and under
- A minimum of 2 people are required for this tour to operate. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- Wear closed toe shoes
- Wear long pants / trousers
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Horse trekking (1 hr trek)
- Jet Boating on Waimakariri River (If option selected at time of booking)
- Sheep farm visit (If option selected at time of booking)
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Food and drinks
- Cruise port pickup/drop off
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Canterbury Leisure Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.