Travel by road on a full day tour from Christchurch to Mount Cook, Australasia’s highest mountain. Along the way you’ll pass through the spectacular scenery of the Canterbury Plains, view MacKenzie Basin, Lakes Tekapo and Pukari and Tasman Glacier. Lunch at the Hermitage Hotel as well as morning and afternoon snacks are also included on your guided tour.
What You'll Get
A short stop at either the Tin Shed (an old shearing shed selling discount sweaters) or at Barkers Winery for tastings of wines, sauces and jams. Continuing through the foothills of the Southern Alps from Geraldine to Fairlie and through the MacKenzie Basin, with its brown snowgrass-covered landscape which has an almost desert like aspect, to Lake Tekapo. There is the opportunity to take an idyllic photograph of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Lake Tekapo with its backdrop of magnificent alpine scenery.
Next, it's onto Lake Pukaki where the Tasman Valley opens into the MacKenzie Basin with Mount Cook and the surrounding snow covered peaks in the background. Lunch is at the Hermitage in the Mount Cook National Park. Following lunch an alpine flight over the National Park can be arranged with Mount Cook Airlines (optional at additional cost, payable direct). Glacier landings by ski planes are also available (optional at additional cost, payable direct).
Next, you'll explore the Tasman Glacier where a twenty minute climb by foot will take you to the top of the terminal moraine, this vantage point provides views of both the Tasman Glacier and the newly formed Lake Tasman. Return by coach in the afternoon, stopping at the Canterbury high country town of Fairlie for late afternoon tea.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Please note Tasman Glacier viewing walk is subject to weather conditions on the day of travel which due to the mountains and altitude is very changeable. Should this walk not be available due to weather then the tour will visit the Mount Cook Edmund Hilary Center at the Hermitage
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Live commentary on board
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Local guide
- Morning and afternoon tea
Traveler pickup is offered
Returns to original departure point at approximately 9:00pm
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Canterbury Leisure Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.