In the heart of the Southern Alps, Arthur’s Pass National Park has an incredible diversity of flora and landscape. Experience a breathtaking journey aboard the TranzAlpine Train winding it’s way through the magnificent Waimakariri Gorge. Join short guided walks to rainforests, rivers and mountain vistas and visit the incredible Castle Hill rocks. Traveling in a small group, maximum eight participants, allows for an intimate and informative experience.
What You'll Get
At Christchurch, board the world famous TranzAlpine Train, sit back and relax on the train journey that will take you across the Canterbury Plains, wind its way through the stunning Waimakariri Gorge and through tussock covered high country before heading into the Southern Alps.
The TranzAlpine is rated one of the world's greatest train journeys and is 223 kilometers long and takes just four and a half hours. There are 16 tunnels, and 5 viaducts, the highest being the Staircase standing at 73 meters.
You will be met at Arthur's Pass by your guide who will take you through the National Park where short walks can be made to experience forests, rivers and mountains vistas. You will follow the old stage coach route and travel down the spectacular Otira Gorge, testament to the road builders of the 1860's and the route taken by Maori in their quest for greenstone.
Departing Arthur's pass, you will travel through the high country and a stop can be made to view Cave Stream where it burrows underground in an area of limestone cliffs and gorges, craggy outcrops and a setting of surrounding mountains.
The incredible Castle Hill rocks, unique weatherworn and rain smoothed outcrops of limestone are seen from the highway and the more adventurous may wish to walk to the top of the rocks for magnificent views of the surrounding countryside.
The return journey to Christchurch will include a visit to the Waimak Gorge where the Waimakariri River enters the vast Canterbury Plains.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- A percentage of the tour price is used for the conservation of New Zealand's wildlife, environment and it's endangered species
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- Lunch at a country hotel
- Guided walks of Arthur's Pass National Park
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from centrally located Christchurch hotels
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Travel by TranzAlpine train
- Light refreshments
- Local guide
- Entry/Admission - TranzAlpine Train
- Entry/Admission - Otira Viaduct Lookout
- Cruise port pickup is not available
Tour departs from centrally located Christchurch hotels
Returns to original departure point at approximately 5.45pm
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Canterbury Trails in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.