Our climbs utilise a via ferrata system to ensure safety and to make the activity achievable for most people.
Via Ferrata means “iron road” in Italian. It’s the name given to a series of iron steps fixed into a rock face. With the use of a safety cable this allows anyone with a decent level of fitness to scale heights normally accessible only to experienced rock climbers.
The Queenstown via ferrata was the first to be established in the Southern Hemisphere and takes advantage of Queenstown’s stunning alpine scenery, providing 12 challenging climbing routes of varying length and difficulty for you to conquer.
What You'll Get
Experience the pure adventure, exhilaration and sense of achievement as you climb using our via ferrata system, in one of New Zealand’s most dramatic scenic settings – only minutes from downtown Queenstown!
We climb cliffs carved out by enormous, 1000m deep glaciers that extended out from the Southern Alps – with climbers peaking out on the Queenstown Hill massif, overlooking the town and Lake Wakatipu.
With 12 routes, covering over 300 vertical metres of varying degrees of difficulty, there is a perfect route to scale and conquer.
The trip begins at the Adventure Centre, 39 Camp Street, Queenstown. Here, our guides will kit you out with everything you need and instruct you on how to use the via ferrata system. We then take you on a quick 2-minute drive to the start of the climb for a safety talk before heading up the cliffs.
We provide a very personalised guiding service in small groups. Spaces are limited, so please book ahead to avoid any disappointment.
While no previous climbing experience is required, you’ll need a good head for heights and have moderate fitness – and good footwear is a must.
• Queenstown Hill, Belfast Street, Queenstown New Zealand
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Cannot weigh more than 120kg
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 4 travelers
- Private transportation
- Helmet, harness and all the technical gear. Safety instruction and full briefing.
- Wear sturdy, grippy footwear. Bring water and an extra layer.
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Canyon Explorers in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.