Hop aboard the Christchurch Tramway Restaurant and travel in comfort through the city center while enjoying a delicious 4-course dinner. The 2.5-hour ride in this moving restaurant on wheels allows you to enjoy views of city attractions while you relax in a meticulously restored heritage tramcar. Sip a welcome drink upon arrival, and then dine on a gourmet meal, accompanied by tea and coffee.
What You'll Get
Board the Tramway Restaurant at Cathedral Junction to begin your 2.5-hour ride through central Christchurch, the site of ongoing renewal since the devastating earthquakes of 2010 and 2011.
Be seated at a 2-person or 4-person table in the tramcar, and enjoy a welcome drink on arrival. The car has room for a maximum of 36 guests and includes air-conditioning for all-weather comfort. You'll pass by city highlights like the Christchurch Botanic Gardens, Hagley Park, the Avon River, Re:START Mall, Canterbury Museum and New Regent Street,
Your 4-course dinner offers a seasonal menu with choices for your first course, main course and dessert. Coffee and tea service accompanies dessert, and the professional waitstaff can answer any questions you may have throughout your meal.
After dinner, the tram makes its way back to Cathedral Junction where the tour ends. (Click on the 'View additional info' link below to see a map of the tram route.)
Sample menu Please Note: The menu changes seasonally, every 3 months. Below is a sample only and may not be the meal you receive on the day.
Chef’s amuse bouche
First course (choice of one):
• Gruyère and semolina quenelles (oval-shaped dumplings) encased in a rich Italian tomato sauce, topped with parmesan and baked until golden
• Blackcurrant tea–infused venison loin on a balsamic-roasted beetroot marshmallow with blackcurrant chutney
• Akaroa smoked salmon parcel, fennel, dill, orange and preserved lemon salad, with crispy lavashMain course (choice of one):
• Herb-crusted Canterbury lamb rack, with dauphinoise potatoes, sticky red cabbage, minted pea puree and red currant jus
• Talbot Forest brie-stuffed chicken supreme with sweet potato, baby corn galette, creamed leeks, crispy parma ham and rich jus
• Lemon- and herb-crusted hapuka fillet, saffron potatoes, watercress and shellfish bisque, topped with roast pepper salsa
• Roast autumn vegetable stack in a rosemary and baby pea broth, topped with salsa rossaDessert (choice of one):
• Lemon curd cheesecake with raspberry coulis, creme fraiche, white chocolate curl and freeze-dried raspberries
• Whittaker's dark chocolate tart in a ground almond and hazelnut crust with apricot coulis
Christchurch Tram hop-on hop-off stops:
• Cathedral Junction
• Cathedral Square
• Mill Island
• Re:START Mall
• The Crossing
• Manchester Street
• High Street
• City Punting
• Art Gallery
• Worcester Boulevard
• Museum and Botanic Gardens
• Hagley Park Corner
• Cramner Square
• Victoria Square
• New Regent Street
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Minimum age is 10 years
- Minimum age is 18 years to consume alcohol
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Children's menu is not available
- Dress code: Smart casual, suit or similar dress is recommended
- Smoking is strictly prohibited
- You may request your preference of a 2- or 4-person table when booking, but your choice is not guaranteed
- Tour by air-conditioned tram
- Dinner - 4-course dinner
- Welcome drink
- Tea and coffee
- On-Board Live Commentary
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Cathedral Junction, 109 Worcester Street, Christchurch Central City, Christchurch 8011, New Zealand
Cathedral Junction at 7.00 pm March – October and at 7:30 pm November – February.
Report time is 10 minutes prior to departure
2 hours 30 minutes
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Christchurch Attractions in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.