Please Note: Tour only available from 1 October - 30 April.A three day journey from Queenstown and back to Te Anau with its wonderful glow worm caves and of course access to the magical and memorable Doubtful Sound. Doubtful Sound, is a remote fiord on a grand scale the likes of which you won’t believe. Cruise across Lake Manapouri by ferry from Te Anau, then by coach cross the Southern Alps over the Wilmot Pass into Doubtful Sound. The isolation of this place makes the fiord a very unique place few people get to experience and spending the night there is sublime.
What You'll Get
Day 1: Queenstown to Te Anau by coach
Stop At: Te Anau, Te Anau, Fiordland National Park, Southland Region, South Island
Queenstown to Te Anau with GreatSights
Following the shores of Lake Wakatipu south the Remarkable mountain range towers over you as you approach township of Kingston. Then into Southland and rolling fertile farm country. Crossing the rolling tussock lands you pass through Mossburn, the deer capital of New Zealand and into Te Anau, the gateway to Fiordland National Park.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Te Anau Glowworm Caves, Lakefront Drive, Te Anau, Fiordland National Park New Zealand
Your Te Anau Glowworm Cave adventure begins with a scenic cruise across Lake Te Anau on board the new luxury catamaran, Luminosa, to the western side of the lake. Upon arrival there is time to view informative displays at Cavern House before the friendly guides invite you to accompany them underground in small groups. As you explore by path and small boat, your senses will be overwhelmed. Observe how the rushing water sculpts the rock formations, before gliding through silent darkness to the glowworm grotto. The delicate incandescence of thousands of tiny glowworms is a magical sight.
Duration: 2 hours
No meals included on this day.
Accommodation included: Distinction Te Anau Hotel & Villas is ideally located on the lake front a few minutes stroll from the Te Anau shops.
Day 2: Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise with Real Journeys
Stop At: Doubtful Sound, Te Anau, Fiordland National Park New Zealand
Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise from Te Anau
Travel from Te Anau to Manapouri by Real Journeys coach to board the Fiordland Navigator for a very special dinner, bed and breakfast wilderness experience on Doubtful Sound Real Journeys overnight vessel, the Fiordland Navigator, is designed along the lines of a traditional New Zealand coastal trading scow to reflect Fiordland's heritage. The purpose-built vessel accommodates passengers either in private cabins with ensuite bathrooms or in quad-share bunk style compartments with shared bathroom facilities. The vessel has spacious deck areas for viewing the wilderness scenery and wildlife of Doubtful Sound. Of particular interest, if sighted, are fur seals, dolphins, and in season, rare penguins. Activities include kayaking and excursions in the tender vessels (stabicraft) to explore the coastline. Departing Manapouri at 12:30 you enjoy a short cruise across beautiful Lake Manapouri and after a coach trip over Wilmot Pass, you will board the Fiordland Navigator at Deep Cove, Doubtful Sound. There is plenty of time on your overnight cruise to enjoy the stunning views and to discover the hidden arms of Doubtful Sound. Fur seals and bottlenose dolphins are often seen and at times, rare penguins can be observed. There is also time for you to kayak around the shoreline or go exploring in the tender craft with our nature guide. As the shadows lengthen we'll drop anchor at a favourite mooring for the night. After the day's activities, enjoy a delicious evening buffet meal in the spacious dining saloon. After enjoying the sunrise in the sound a hearty breakfast awaits before your journey back to Manapouri where you disembark at around midday. The Fiordland Navigator is purpose-built for cruising in the fiords. The vessel offers spacious viewing decks, a comfortable dining saloon and an observation lounge.
- Cruise the full length of Doubtful Sound, all the way to the Tasman Sea
- Enjoy accommodation in private cabins with ensuite bathrooms or quad share bunk-style compartments (limited numbers)
- Three course buffet dinner plus a cooked and continental breakfast prepared by our on-board chef
- Plenty of opportunities for wildlife viewing
- Choose to explore the shoreline by kayak or small boat included
- A specialist nature guide on board who provides insightful commentary
Duration: 1 day
• Breakfast: Breakfast at the hotel before you leave
• Dinner: Three course buffet dinner prepared by theon-board chef
Accommodation included: Overnight on board the Fiordland Navigator in the Doubtful Sound
Day 3: Te Anau back to Queenstown by coach
Stop At: Queenstown, Queenstown, Otago Region, South Island
Real Journeys coach Manapouri to Queenstown
Your Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise returns to Manapouri at midday. Crossing the rolling tussock lands you pass through Mossburn, the deer capital of New Zealand. On the southern shore of Lake Wakatipu sits Kingston, home to classic steam train, The Kingston Flyer. Following the lake north the Remarkable mountain range towers over you as you approach the adventure capital of Queenstown.
Duration: 4 hours
• Breakfast: A cooked and continental breakfast prepared by the on-board chef
No accommodation included on this day.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- 2x Breakfast
- 1x Dinner
- Accommodation included: 2 nights
- 1 night at Distinction Te Anau Hotel & Villas
- 1 night on the Fiordland Navigator boat in Doubtful Sound
- Experienced English-speaking coach drivers with some commentary on board.
- Onboard commentary on cruise
- All coach tour transport as specified in this tour package
- Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise
- Te Anau Glow Worm Caves
- Entry/Admission - Te Anau Glowworm Caves
- Entry/Admission - Doubtful Sound
- Meals, snacks and drinks unless specified.
- Pre and post tour accommodation.
- Insurance not included. Travel insurance is recommended for all of our tours.
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Discover New Zealand in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.