Experience the highlights of The Remutaka Cycle Trail! Discover the Remutaka Incline’s native bush and rail history, then explore the Wild Coast in all it’s rugged beauty. 35km of moderate to challenging riding, across an all-inclusive 9-hour trip. Cycle through native, bird-filled forest, over bridges and through tunnels while enjoying views of the natural landscape and the old railway system. Reach Summit then embark on a fun descent to Cross Creek in the Wairarapa, before being shuttled through some of NZ’s most scenic farmland to the coast for your afternoon ride around the coast to Orongorongo. We’ve seen orca, dolphins and seals in this area, and the landscapes are rugged but stunning. You will be provided with everything you will need for your adventure - transport to and from your accommodation, bikes / eBikes with trunk bags for your personal effects, and all food - so all you need to do is wear appropriate clothing and be ready to ride!
What You'll Get
Enjoy a 9am shuttle pick up from your hotel in Wellington, from here you’ll take an approximately 30 minute drive up to the start of the trails. Along the way, you’ll be briefed as to what to expect on the trails and from the day.
Once you have reached the start of the cycle trail at Kaitoke, you’ll be set up with a modern mountain bike / electric bike (eBike) specially selected and customized for these trails. These bikes come equipped with comfortable seats and grips, quality components, headlights for the tunnels, and a rear carrier rack with pannier unit, so you can take your personal effects without needing a bulky backpack. You'll also receive snacks and bottled water, as well as maps and safety equipment including a GPS tracker with emergency functions. After a quick safety briefing, your adventure will begin!
On the trail, you’ll start by cycling through the native bird-filled Pakuratahi Forest. Follow an old railway line over bridges and through tunnels, while pausing, if you like, to check out information stations detailing the enormous task of constructing the “Fell” railway system - a first for New Zealand at the time, and one of only a few around the world. Once you reach the summit, enjoy an exhilarating (but easily controllable!) descent to Cross Creek in the Wairarapa, with views of some of New Zealand’s stunning farming heartland.
Here you will be picked up by our comfortable shuttle around 12pm, and enjoy an approximately 45 minute scenic drive south to Ocean Beach, and the start of The Wild Coast Trail. We'll have a delicious packed lunch for you that you can eat along the way or once we get to the beach, and again we'll brief you as to what to expect for the second half of the day.
From Ocean Beach, you jump on your bike and head around the coast to Orongorongo. You'll pass through rugged farmland, lush river valleys, bleak shingle fans and wild beaches. Our staff have seen orca, dolphins and seals in this area - it's a challenging track that can push some riders, but really is an incredible part of the country and well worth the effort.
Once you arrive at Orongorongo around 4.30pm, we'll meet you with some refreshments, and shuttle you back to Wellington. You will be returned back to your hotel around 5pm, though we recommend allowing for a 6pm finish, just in case anyone in the group is slow to finish.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please provide the following at time of booking, so we can make sure your day goes smoothly:
- Info regarding your dietary requirements - eg "no seafood please", "gluten free", "vegetarian"
- Your approximate height (for bike sizing) - inches or cm are fine.
- The address that you would like our shuttle to pick you up from at 9am - anywhere in Wellington or the Hutt Valley is fine
- Trips are subject to favourable weather conditions. If cancelled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund at your discretion.
- Minimum age is 12
- Minimum of 2 people per booking
- Please wear appropriate clothing for outdoor activity. During the warmer months, this means shorts and a t-shirt for riding, and a light jacket in reserve. During the colder months you may prefer long pants or tights (nothing baggy that may catch on the bike!), with a tshirt, fleece and light jacket in reserve. Closed shoes - running shoes are perfect - must be worn at all times.
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 11 travelers
- All food and water provided - snacks, light lunch, water.
- All equipment - bikes / eBikes, helmets and other safety gear, racks and a pannier bag for your personal effects.
- All transport - shuttles to and from your hotel / pickup point, and any other transports required throughout day.
- Knowledgeable and friendly host, who will provide information regarding the trail and what to expect throughout the day.
- All taxes/fees are included in the headline price - no hidden extras
- Bottled water
- Excludes on-trail guide - our friendly staff will brief you and answer any questions you may have, but the trail is really easy to follow and full of information stations, so a guide isn't really necessary.
Traveler pickup is offered
We will pick you up from your accommodation in Wellington / Lower Hutt
Tour ends with drop off at your accommodation.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Everyone's Adventure in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.