Discover the Remutaka area’s rich rail history and natural beauty on an easy, all-inclusive, 6 hour mountain biking day trip. The flagship of the Remutaka Cycle Trail, this trail is suitable for riders of all levels. Cycle through native, bird-filled forest, over bridges and through tunnels while enjoying views of the natural landscape and the old railway system. Enjoy a delicious picnic lunch at the Summit and embark on a fun (but easily controllable) descent to Cross Creek in the Wairarapa, home to some of New Zealand’s most scenic farmland.
You will be provided with everything you will need for your adventure - transport to and from your cruise ship, comfort mountain bikes / eBikes with trunk bags for your personal effects, and all food - so all you need to do is wear appropriate clothing and be ready to ride!
Distance 18/25km, riding time 3-4 hours, total duration 6 hours
What You'll Get
We will meet you at port at the time of your choosing, and shuttle you up to either Maymorn (for a 25km, slightly more challenging ride) or Kaitoke (for an 18km easy ride). Along the way, you’ll be briefed as to what to expect on the trails and from the day. Once you have reached the cycling path, you’ll be set up with a modern mountain bike / electric bike (eBike) specially selected and customized for these trails. These bikes come equipped with comfortable seats and grips, quality components, headlights for the tunnels, and a rear carrier rack with pannier unit, so you can take your personal effects without needing a bulky backpack. You'll also receive a delicious picnic lunch and bottled water, as well as maps and safety equipment. After a quick safety briefing, your adventure will begin!
On the trail, you’ll start by cycling through the native bird-filled Pakuratahi Forest. Follow an old railway line over bridges and through tunnels, while pausing, if you like, to check out information stations detailing the enormous task of constructing the “Fell” railway system - a first for New Zealand at the time, and one of only a few around the world. Once you reach the summit, you will stop for a picnic lunch on a large grassy plateau next to the remnants of a historic station. After lunch, enjoy an exhilarating (but easily controllable!) descent to Cross Creek in the Wairarapa, with views of some of New Zealand’s stunning farming heartland. Meet the shuttle at Cross Creek, or continue biking north to Featherston and The Fell Locomotive Museum, and we'll pick you up along the way before driving you back to your ship.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Please provide the following at time of booking, so we can make sure your day goes smoothly:
- Info regarding your dietary requirements - eg "no seafood please", "gluten free", "vegetarian"
- Your approximate height (for bike sizing) - inches or cm are fine.
- Trips are subject to favourable weather conditions. If cancelled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund at your discretion.
- Minimum 2 people per booking
- Please wear appropriate clothing for outdoor activity. During the warmer months, this means shorts and a t-shirt for riding, and a light jacket in reserve. During the colder months you may prefer long pants or tights (nothing baggy that may catch on the bike!), with a tshirt, fleece and light jacket in reserve. Closed shoes - running shoes are perfect - must be worn at all times.
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- All food and water provided - snacks, light lunch, water.
- All equipment - comfort mountain bike / electric bike (eBike), helmets and other safety gear, racks and a pannier bag for your personal effects.
- All transport - shuttles to and from Wellington port.
- Knowledgeable and friendly host, who will provide information regarding the trail and what to expect throughout the day.
- All taxes/fees are included in the headline price - no hidden extras.
- Bottled water
- Excludes on-trail guide - our friendly staff will brief you and answer any questions you may have, but the trail is really easy to follow and full of information stations, so a guide isn't really necessary.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Everyone's Adventure in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.