The 20 Tunnel experience will transport you back through history, and get you home in time for dinner. This is a full day and more than 80km of total immersion into the true stories and tall tales woven into this unique landscape. From Okahukura to Whangamomona (or in reverse on alternate days), you’ll discover a different vista unfolding every time you emerge from a tunnel. Our most popular tour.
What You'll Get
20 Tunnel 1: RailCarts travel along the line - Okahukura to Whangamomona
Time : Depart the FWA Taumarunui Depot at 7.30am and arrive in Whangamomona approx 3.45pm. - the "Same Day" shuttle will deliver you back to our Taumarunui depot at approx 5.45pm.
Choose this tour if you are planning to:
• start and finish in Taumarunui OR
• start in Taumarunui, stay overnight in Whangamomona and return to Taumarunui the next day OR
• start in Taumarunui and have your vehicle transferred to Whangamomona to continue your journey from there.
Board the carts at Okahukura and enjoy the rural landscape of the King Country before plunging into the longest tunnel on the line. Pass through the depleted settlements of Matiere and Ohura before arriving at Tokirima where lunch awaits you. The afternoon takes you through the spectacular Tangarakau Gorge and on to Whangamomona. Take a wonder around the Republic before boarding our shuttle to travel by road back to Taumarunui along the famed State Highway 43 - The Forgotten World Highway.
For those choosing to stay overnight or longer in Whangamomona - you will find your luggage awaiting you at your chosen accommodation. Please note that neither accommodation nor next day shuttle are included in this tour. Please contact the FWA booking office if you would like us to make a booking for either of these extras for you.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 24 travelers
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Afternoon tea
- Local guide
- Same Day Shuttle at end of tour (Whangamomona back to Taumarunui)
- If you wanted to stay the night in Whangamomona, we offer a Next Day Shuttle the morning after your tour from Whangamomona back to Taumarunui - additional $25 per person
- We can shift your vehicle from the tour start point (Forgotten World Motel) to be ready waiting for you at the send of your tour (Whangamomona). This often suits those who are carrying on towards Taranaki after their tour. This is an additional $95 per vehicle.
Forgotten World Motel, 9 Hakiaha St, Taumarunui 3920, New Zealand
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Forgotten World Adventures in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.