Unplugged yet still ‘on the line’ as you travel the entire 142km from Okahukura to Stratford or Stratford to Okahukura with an overnight stay (additional to tour - see details below) in Whangamomona. You’ll go through all 24 tunnels, cross all 98 bridges and see the remnants of the original settlements along the line. The history of this unique landscape will resonate as you absorb the stories and relive the memories of New Zealand’s pioneering past with this two-day journey back in time. The ultimate experience.
What You'll Get
Day 1: Taumarunui to Republic of Whangamomona
Stop At: Forgotten World Adventures, 9 Hakiaha Street, Taumarunui 3920 New Zealand
Check in at the Forgotten World Motel and take a shuttle bus to the start of the line at Okahukura. Here you’ll board your Rail Cart and set off on your journey through the Forgotten World. Immerse yourself in the changing views of rolling hills, remote farmland and native bush, and experience wildlife close to the tracks.
Stop along the way to hear stories from your guide of the land, its people and history. Travel over bridges and through and-built brick tunnels, including the lines longest tunnel at 1.5km, and journey through the Tangarakau Gorge.
Enjoy morning and afternoon tea stops at historic settlements of Matiere and Tangarakau, and a Ploughman’s lunch at Tokirima.
Duration: 8 hours
Stop At: Whangamomona 4396, New Zealand
Arrive in the Republic of Whangamomona, explore the area and its charismatic pub. Overnight accommodation is not included and must be booked separately.
Duration: 12 hours
Accommodation included: Overnight stay in Whangamomona. Accommodation is not included.
Day 2: Whangamomona to Stratford
Stop At: Te Wera, New Zealand
Depart Whangamomona and continue your journey to Stratford. Discover ever-changing vistas as you learn about the history of the area and the stories of the settlers. See redwood plantations, pine forest and deer farms and get up close and personal with local wildlife in sheep and beef country.
Stop for morning tea and home baking at TeWera Station siding, and visit an organic farm with the opportunity to sample and buy locally made produce.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: New Zealand, New Zealand
Enjoy lunch at Douglas Station, then continue your journey and marvel at the spectacular Mt Taranaki dominating the skyline. Travel on the largest bridge over the Patea River, and discover Taranaki dairy farmland. Arrive at Victoria Road in Stratford about 3pm ready for your onward travel or take the same day return shuttle to Taumarunui (additional cost)
Duration: 3 hours
No accommodation included on this day.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 50 travelers
- 2x Lunch
- Accommodation included: 1 night
- 2 x Morning Tea
- 2 x Lunch
- 2 x Afternoon Tea
- Local guide
- Return travel is not included in the tour price.
- Options for the end of your tour include:
- 1.Catch the same day "Return" shuttle (additional to tour cost) $50 per person (approx 3 hours travel time)
- 2.Have your car/vehicle/camper van (sorry we cannot shift rental vehicles) transferred to be waiting for you at the end of your adventure (additional to tour cost) $165 per vehicle
- 3. Enjoy onward travel by public transport from either Stratford or Taumarunui depending on where your tour ends.
- Accommodation travel is not included in the tour price.
- Your overnight accommodation in Whangamomona (dinner, bed and breakfast is additional to the tour price)
- We are happy to book your accommodation in Whangamomona for you. Please let us know your where you would like to stay.
Forgotten World Adventures, 9 Hakiaha Street, Taumarunui 3920, New Zealand
Victoria Road, Stratford, New Zealand
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Forgotten World Adventures in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.