Voted one of the 12 must-see things to visit in New Zealand by Lonely Planet, the West Coast Wildlife Centre is the largest kiwi hatching facility in the South island and the foremost indoor, all-weather attraction in Franz Josef. You are guaranteed to see live kiwi during the day inside our nocturnal house, including the world's rarest kiwis. Discover the interactive glacier attraction and West Coast storytelling areas or go behind the scenes on the “Kiwi Backstage Pass Tour.” Numbers are very limited on the 30-minute Backstage Pass Tour so advanced bookings are highly recommended. You'll also find the best shopping in Franz Josef inside the all-weather facility and enjoy free Wi-Fi in the café.
What You'll Get
Visit: West Coast Wildlife Centre, Cnr Cowan & Cron Streets Bright Green Building, Franz Josef, Westland National Park (Te Wahipounamu) 7886 New Zealand
Based in Franz Josef and proudly NZ owned and operated, the West Coast Wildlife Centre is the largest kiwi hatching facility in the South Island. It's home to the world's two rarest kiwis: the Rowi and the Haast Tokoeka. The centre is a great example of a special public/private partnership with the Department of Conservation. The centre features an indoor and all-weather facility with free Wi-Fi where you can enjoy the best NZ shopping in Franz Josef or a delicious meal in the café.
The centre is open every day from 8.30am. Please set aside at least 1 hour for your visit.
When you arrive, a guide can provide a 15-minute introductory talk and take small groups through the attraction. The guides speak English, Chinese, French, and Spanish. A free takeaway learning booklet is provided at no extra charge. All tickets purchased are valid for 24 hours. This means that guests can come in and out of the attraction as many times as they like.
During your visit, you'll be able to see live kiwi during the day inside the nocturnal house, discover the interactive glacier attraction and storytelling areas/films.
You'll also have the option to go behind-the-scenes on the Backstage Pass Tour rated “highly recommended” by Lonely Planet where you can see kiwi chicks and meet the friendly ranger team.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Main attraction is wheelchair friendly, but backstage pass tour is not wheelchair accessible
- Photography is restricted inside the kiwi nocturnal house but available on the kiwi backstage pass tour
- Proof of age require if purchasing a senior ticket (over 65 years of age)
- Cafe with food and coffee available to purchase. All major credit cards accepted
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Local taxes
- Free car parking
- Entry/Admission - West Coast Wildlife Centre
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- DVD (available to purchase)
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Franz Josef Wildlife Centre in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.