Located in spectacular Fiordland National Park on New Zealand’s South Island, the Hollyford Track is one of the country’s greatest hiking trails, and you can experience its breathtaking setting on this 3-day guided walk. Your expert guide will lead you from the snow-capped mountains of the Southern Alps through ancient native rainforest, past pristine rivers and lakes, and to the remote sand dunes and surf of the rugged West Coast. The diversity of the landscape, vegetation and wildlife will be brought to life, as will the captivating stories of early Maoris and pioneering families. You’ll travel through the Hollyford Valley on foot and by jet boat, and take a spectacular scenic helicopter flight into Milford Sound. As part of a small-group tour with no more than 16 participants, enjoy personalized service, world-class cuisine and comfortable, private lodge accommodation.
What You'll Get
Day 1: 12 miles (19.5km) of walking (L, D)
Travel by coach from Queenstown or Te Anau to the start of the track in the Hollyford Valley, passing through some of New Zealand’s most stunning scenery.
Stepping into the Hollyford Valley is like entering a world that’s remained untouched for thousands of years. Naturally spectacular and ever-changing, the valley has an unparalleled diversity of vegetation and wildlife that makes for an incredible walking experience.
Begin your walk along the Hollyford River, retracing the footsteps of the indigenous Maori people and the island’s early explorers. Enjoy historical tales and interpretation of the forest and birdlife from your guide as you walk through native beech forest and alongside cascading waterfalls.
At the end of the first day’s walk, you’ll be welcomed at Pyke’s Lodge for your overnight stay. Take a hot shower and enjoy a 3-course dinner. Nestled beneath the converging mountain ranges and among native forest at the union of the Hollyford and Pyke rivers, the lodge is a great place to take in the often-spectacular views of the sun setting and rising on Mt Madeline and the Darren Range.
Day 2: 9 miles (15km) of walking (B, L, D)
After breakfast at Pyke’s Lodge, begin your day with a short walk to Lake Alabaster and learn about the history and geology of this stunning section of the Hollyford Valley. Cross Fiordland's longest swing bridge (optional), then enjoy a jet boat journey down the Hollyford River and across Lake McKerrow to the historic site of Jamestown, the intended capital of New Zealand’s South Island in the late 19th century.
Walk through the ancient Podocarp forest with giant Rimu, Totara and Kahikatea trees wrapped in massive Rata vines before visiting the New Zealand fur seal colony at Long Reef on the wild West Coast. Be on the lookout for the rare Fiordland Crested Penguin that nests in the surrounding rocks and scrub.
Arrive at Martin’s Bay Lodge, located near the mouth of the Hollyford River. The sound of the surf on nearby Martins Bay Spit is a soothing evening soundtrack. Enjoy a 3-course dinner and turn in for the night.
Day 5: Miles (8.5km) of walking (B, L)
After a delicious breakfast, take another jet boat ride, this time to Martins Bay Spit, a famous landmark that separates the Tasman Sea from Hollyford Valley. As you visit historical Maori sites, your guide will share Maori stories and highlight the plant and wildlife of this unique, diverse and remote area. You’ll also have time explore the isolated beach and sand dunes at your own pace.
Return to Martins Bay Lodge for lunch, and then take to the skies on a scenic helicopter flight along the rugged West Coast and into the spectacular Milford Sound.
From Milford Sound, return to Queenstown or Te Anau by coach along scenic Milford Road.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Minimum age is 10 years
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- You must attend a pre-departure briefing at 5:30pm the night prior to departure at the Spire Hotel on Church Lane in Queenstown or in Te Anau; if you need to use backpacks and other gear provided, these can be collected at the briefing
- The Hollyford Track is a moderate walk and suitable for those with a moderate level of fitness
- You will need to make your own arrangements for any unrequired/excess luggage to be stored in Queenstown or Te Anau while you are on the walk
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- 3-day guided walking tour
- Meals as per itinerary (B=breakfast, L=lunch, D=dinner)
- Tea, coffee, juice and water
- Professional guide
- Round-trip coach transfer from Queenstown or Te Anau
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Use of backpacks and rain jackets (if you don’t have your own)
- 2 nights accommodation
- Bedding, towels, soap, shampoo, conditioner and hairdryers
- Wilderness Jet Boat Ride
- Milford Sound helicopter flight
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
Returns to original departure point at approximately on Day 3:
Te Anau: 4pm
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Hollyford Valley Walks in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.