This great walk in Mount Aspiring National Park starts with a gradual climb through a 130 million year old magical world of ferns, mosses, lichens and Beech forest. We enjoy lunch surrounded by the grandeur of alpine meadows, meandering streams and majestic snow capped mountains. On our return we explore the old forgotten paths of the Maori, as we travel along the old Greenstone trails, finding new enchantment around each corner, where native birds abound.
What You'll Get
Put yourself in the picture...on this world reknown walk.
A journey to the head of Lake Wakatipu is the ideal preparation for the splendor of the world-famous Routeburn walk. Initially picking you up from your accommodation you will travel northwest on a road that clings to the very edge of the lake. Your guide will introduce you to the history and landscape of the region. From time to time, the road rises to superb vantage points where you will enjoy unparalleled panoramas of jagged, snow-capped mountains, rolling alpine farmland and acre upon acre of glorious lake land tussock meadows.
Make your way on this great walk in Mount Aspiring National Park with a gradual ascent, through 130 million year old magical world of ferns, mosses, lichens & beech forest. Explore forgotten paths of the Maori, as we travel along their old greenstone trails, finding new enchantment around each corner, where native birds abound. This walk is often described as, being “far better than the Milford Track”.
Just 2.5 hours walk later, the woodland parts to reveal the rich grassland of Routeburn Flats, overlooked on all sides by cloud-scraping mountains, some so high they have permafrost.
The Flats is a pristine site to stop for lunch. After a delicious Kiwi style picnic lunch, we turn and enjoy the valley in reverse. Exploring the old paths of the Maori travelers as we travel along their old ‘Greenstone’ trails, finding new enjoyment around each corner.
Native and migratory birds welcome your return to the forest, and a plentiful array of species will accompany your journey back to civilization.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Due to the nature of the terrain, altitude and alpine conditions, the duration of this walk is entirely flexible and dependent on fitness levels. You can enjoy anything from a 16 kilometer to 23 kilometer return journey, as there is an option of walking another 1.5hrs to view the entire magnificent valley from the Routeburn Falls.
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Track condition is excellent and though sturdy footwear is always advised, in fine weather athletic shoes are adequate. This is an excellent guided option for the winter months also.
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Light refreshments
- Professional guide
- There are no additional charges
The Station Information Centre, Corner of Shotover & Camp Streets, 25 Shotover Street, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand
Traveler pickup is offered
We will confirm your pick up time in our confirmation
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Hollyford Valley Walks in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.