Mapua means ‘abundance’ in Maori and it certainly doesn’t disappoint. Situated on the Waimea Estuary right in the middle of the Tasman Bay, just a 35-minute drive from Nelson City, Mapua is a magical spot to relax, enjoy fine food and drink and challenge yourself to some amazing cycling. Through client feedback, spending one night in Mapua just isn’t enough time to enjoy the ambience of this seaside village. With cafes, pubs, restaurants, wine bars and a brewery, the options are first class. Local favorites on the Mapua Wharf include locally sourced fish and chips, and real fruit ice creams. This private 3 day, 2 night small-group package is solely based on relaxation as your group of no more than 10 will choose when, how long and in what direction you would like to go. From walking along the beach or up to the village, dining in the restaurants or cafes, this is an amazing place to unwind.
What You'll Get
After your flight arrival, a representative will greet and transport you to your B&B accommodation in Mapua. A dinner voucher will be provided. You may choose to dine at the Apple Shed or Jellyfish Restaurant, they are both amazing! Overnight in your B&B.
After breakfast, experience a bike ride along the Cycle Trails. The Kiwi Journeys bike shop is only a short walk away, located at the entrance to the Mapua Wharf. Here, you will be fitted with your bikes and supply you with all the equipment, maps and information required to have a great day. Choose one of the rides from below.
Another fun day ahead before you transport back to the airport. The tour provider is happy to work in with you if your plans or arrangements are different. Situated right in the heart of the Tasman Great Taste Trail, Mapua is the perfect location to explore the amazing cycle trails in either direction. These are some of the region’s most popular day adventures with stunning scenery, wineries, breweries, history and activities.
• Rabbit Island and Beyond - From the Mapua Wharf, the Mapua ferry whisks you over to Rabbit Island where the peace and quiet will give you time to clear your head. Spend as long as you want exploring the white sandy beaches and trails around the island, or carry on cycling toward Richmond, crossing farmland, a swing bridge, and amazing boardwalks over the estuary. It pays not to forget to visit an award winning winery or brewery for lunch along the route. The best part of this ride is that it is all flat, but you still have the option to take an e-bike too!
• Mapua to Kaiteriteri - The coastal part of the trail from Mapua to Kaiteriteri is a fantastic day out, you can choose how far you ride and the things you experience. A short 10km ride up to Tasman for lunch at the award winning café of the year ‘The Jester House’, where you can also feed tame Eels, is a morning well spent. Or, maybe you’d rather sample some of the many top cafés on the 41km ride to Kaiteriteri. The prize is fantastic when you set eyes on the golden sands of the coast! This section of trail generally ranges from grade 1 to 3, and it is recommended that you have a reasonable level of fitness for this section. The ‘Trail Hopper’ transport service gives you the flexibility to bike one way, in either direction, and get picked-up. Again, you could always upgrade to an e-bike, making quick and easy work of those hills!
• Moutere Hills Winery Tour - With the rolling, picturesque countryside and stunning views of the Mount Arthur Range, this amazing day lets you experience four characteristic vineyards and some of the region’s (and the world’s) finest wines and artisans. The Moutere is also well known for its arts and crafts, riding past vineyards, hops and blueberry farms you can learn about the local history. Tip - great on eBikes!
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Availability is based on accommodation
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Minimum age is 18 years
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Airport pickup and drop-off
- B & B accommodation (2 nights) including breakfasts
- Cycle equipment which includes trail comfort bike, helmet, repair kit, panniers or carrier bag, odometer and trail documentation
- Bottled water
- Mapua ferry crossing fees
- Dinner voucher ($50 per person)
- Private tour
- Food and drinks, unless specified
Pickup from Nelson Airport
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Mapua Ventures Ltd (trading as: Kiwi Journeys) in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.