Milford Sound is arguably the most scenic destination in New Zealand. Located in 3 million acres of the Fiordland National Park, Milford Sound is a must-see for any traveler. Magnificent untouched native forests and bush, pristine waterways and lakes, glacier and high peaks. After departing Te Anau the scenery really begins as you are driven along the lake. Lake Te Anau is the largest lake in the South Island.
Upon entering the Fiordland National Park, you will travel up along side the Eglington River to three mountain lakes at the head of the Eglington Valley. You will make the fist of our many sightseeing stops that also allow for some great photo opportunities and you have a couple of different locations for lunch and will endeavor to select the best spot on the day. There are some fantastic walks in the area and this is a great opportunity to experience the beautiful alpine beech forest up close.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Te Anau, Te Anau, Fiordland National Park, Southland Region, South Island
Departs Te Anau
Stop At: Fiordland National Park (Te Wahipounamu), Fiordland National Park Visitor Centre, Te Anau, Fiordland National Park New Zealand
After departing Te Anau, the scenery really begins as you are driven along Lake Te Anau, the largest lake in the South Island. Upon entering the Fiordland National Park, travel alongside the Eglington River to three mountain lakes at the head of the Eglington Valley. You will make the fist of our many sightseeing stops that also allow for some great photo opportunities and you have a couple of different locations for lunch and will endeavor to select the best spot on the day. There are some fantastic walks in the area and this is a great opportunity to experience the beautiful alpine beech forest up close.
After lunch you head towards the Homer Tunnel, taking in some incredible mountain views while driving along side the crystal clear waters of the Hollyford river. You will make some great scenic stops along this stretch of the road, at his time of day there are few other buses on the road. Once through the Homer Tunnel, you will wind our way down the Cleddau Valley. At this time you arrive in an area called Fiordland but are visiting a "Sound", the difference will be explained.
You link up with a scenic cruise for a 1.45 hour excursion on the fjord.
The barbecue lunch includes a classic Kiwi BBQ of marinated lamb kebabs, chicken kebabs and sausages, a good range of salads, fresh bread and fruit juice.
Stop At: Homer Tunnel, 94 S.h., Milford Sound New Zealand
The Homer Tunnel is a 1.2 km long road tunnel in the Fiordland region of the South Island of New Zealand, opened in 1953. New Zealand State Highway 94 passes through the tunnel, linking Milford Sound to Te Anau and Queenstown, by piercing the Darran Mountain range at the Homer Saddle
Stop At: Eglinton Valley, Milford Sound New Zealand
Located within the Eglinton Valley you’ll also find the famous Mirror Lakes and Knobs Flat.
Stop At: Lake Wakatipu, Queenstown New Zealand
Lake Wakatipu is an inland lake in the South Island of New Zealand. It is in the southwest corner of the Otago region, near its boundary with Southland. Lake Wakatipu comes from the original Māori word Whakatipu wai-māori
Stop At: Milford Sound, Milford Sound, Southland Region, South Island
Milford Sound is a fiord in the southwest of New Zealand’s South Island.
Stop At: Milford Sound, Te Anau, Fiordland National Park 9679 New Zealand
It’s known for towering Mitre Peak, plus rainforests and waterfalls like Stirling and Bowen falls, which plummet down its sheer sides. The fiord is home to fur seal colonies, penguins and dolphins.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Please bring walking shoes, warm clothes and rain jacket
- Collapsible wheelchairs with removable wheels can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark
- Special meal requests such as vegetarian or do not eat pork, lamb, chicken or beef MUST be advised at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- During the months of May to October and the Early Bird Summer departures the itinerary for this tour will be modified. In place of the BBQ lunch enroute to Milford Sound, the tour will include a full scenic cruise with a BBQ lunch on board the cruise boat.
- Please be aware that this is a full day excursion (up to 13 hours for our Summer tours) due to road distances.
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 19 travelers
- Scenic cruise on Milford Sound
- Opportunity for extended bush walks
- Live commentary on board
- Lunch - Kiwi-style BBQ or Picnic Lunch
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Entry/Admission - Fiordland National Park (Te Wahipounamu)
- Entry/Admission - Milford Sound
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Milford Sound BBQ Experience in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.