Combining two scenic flights this is a low fitness Tasman Glacier exploration for up to 2 hours ice time at approximately 1300 metres. Following your knowledgeable, professional, NZMGA trained Guide you will learn about and be in awe of New Zealand’s big mountain country. This is Mother Nature at her finest and you will leave understanding why this area forms a part of the UNESCO Te Wāhipounamu - South West New Zealand World Heritage Area.
What You'll Get
Combine the excitement of walking on New Zealand’s biggest glacier with the thrill of breathtaking scenic helicopter fly-bys of New Zealand’s largest mountain, Aoraki/Mt Cook. You fly in to your drop off point on a remote part of the glacier.
In summer your guide will outfit you with special ice spikes for your feet, called crampons, designed for hard ice glacier conditions. During the winter months when there maybe snow around you may use snow-shoes or a combination of both. Then you’ll go exploring the fascinating ice formations, following your guide as s/he cuts steps in the glacier, using skills handed down from NZ’s mountain pioneers. Your trip finishes with another spectacular scenic flight back to our Aoraki/Mt. Cook base.
Every journey is unique, because the glacier is changing all the time and our experienced guides are always finding something new and interesting to show our visitors. Time on the ice is up to 2 hours, weather permitting.
A minimum of 3 people is required for a trip to depart (if you have less than 3 people in your group, we will do our best to put you on a trip with other people).
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please bring
- 3-4 layers of warm upper body clothing
- Warm trousers (no jeans)
- Sunglasses and sun protection
- Hat and gloves
- Drink and snacks
- Subject to favourable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- We are unable to delay the departure time of our experiences due to strict helicopter scheduling. If you miss your confirmed departure time and we are unable to resell the space created, you will be charged for 100% of the cost
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 11 travelers
- Two scenic flights
- Professional guide
- Woollen socks
- Quality leather boots
- Harness (if required)
- Crampons (and/or snow shoes in winter)
- Adjustable walking poles
- Water proof jacket and over-trousers
- Aoraki/Mt Cook Village Accommodation pickup and drop-off (selected accommodation only)
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Mt Cook Glacier Guiding in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.