Explore a portion of the famous Routeburn Track, one of New Zealand’s ‘Great Walks,’ on a day trip to the stunning Mt Aspiring National Park. Hike at a moderate pace on a trail that rises gradually from meadows and forest towards snow-capped peaks and hear informative commentary about the region and its flora and fauna from your expert guide. Lunch and snacks along with round-trip transport from Queenstown are included.
What You'll Get
After morning pickup at your Queenstown hotel, travel by comfortable minicoach to Mt Aspiring National Park to begin your hike on the Routeburn Track. Named after Mt Aspiring, one of New Zealand's highest peaks, the park’s mountains, glaciers, river valleys and alpine lakes are a walker’s paradise.
Starting out in the forest, follow your guide along the trail and learn about the variety of plant and animal life in the park. Walk through southern beech trees and podocarps, trees that cover two-thirds of Mt Aspiring National Park, with some more than 800 years old! Look for some of the 59 bird species that have been found here, including the kea - the world’s only alpine parrot - and the rare, flightless takahe bird.
Moving at a moderate pace for about seven hours covering up to 13 miles (22km), take breaks to check out waterfalls and scenic spots along the river, refreshing yourself with provided snacks and lunch. Cross the spectacular Routeburn Canyon, where you may spot a few brave individuals taking an icy plunge into one of the rivers. Along the way, your guide shares information about the historical significance of the Routeburn Track and how it was used by Maori and European pioneers.
A moderate level of fitness is needed for this hike, along with comfortable walking shoes, layered clothing, and sun protection.
Enjoy the sense of achievement that comes with finishing a long trek and take the chance to see some of New Zealand’s most spectacular natural beauty.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 6 years
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- A moderate level of fitness is required
- Please bring camera, sunscreen and hat
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes
- Please Note: Pickup from central Queenstown accommodations is included. Surround suburbs (Kelvin Heights, Frankton, Arthur's Point, Fernhill and others) by arrangement. Please contact to reconfirm pick up arrangement and time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- Local guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Selected Queenstown Hotel pickup and drop-off
37 Shotover St, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand
Traveler pickup is offered
Pick up from town center and Queenstown accommodation.
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Nomad Safaris in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.