A real 4WD off road adventure which explores the historic gold mining town of Macetown. This ghost town from the gold rush era is now a Department of Conservation reserve, accessible only by 4WD. The road winds from river level to high above the Arrow Gorge, offering over 25 river crossings en route, ever changing views, and the chance to gold pan in the Arrow River.
What You'll Get
Experience the narrow rugged road to the old gold mining town of Macetown, in a 4WD vehicle, crossing the Arrow River over 20 times each way. Immerse yourself in the history of this fascinating region by panning for gold while our knowledgeable guides describe the hardship and exhilaration the miners faced.
This tour departs from your local Queenstown accommodation, heading out towards the picturesque town of Arrowtown. Pass the historic Chinese Settlers Village and the filming location of the “Ford of Bruinen” in The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Travel the road to Macetown along the Arrow River, enjoying a real off road experience with over 20 thrilling river crossings. Once in Macetown explore the remains of the township including a restored bakery, stone cottage and the only stamping battery with an iron frame in Otago.
On the journey back along the Macetown track, try your hand at some gold panning. Your guide will teach you the techniques to pan for gold and feel a sense of the excitement that drew many people to this area during the gold rush of the 1800s.
Guarantee forward facing seats with only 4 pax maximum per vehicle.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Minimum numbers apply (min 2 per tour for confirmed departure, min 4 on NZ public holidays). There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Transport by 4WD vehicle
- Light refreshments (including tea, coffee, hot chocolate, fruit cake and cookies)
- Pickup from central Queenstown accommodations is included. Surround suburbs (Kelvin Heights, Frankton, Arthur's Point, Fernhill and others) by arrangement. Please contact to reconfirm pick up arrangement and time.
4 hours 30 minutes
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Nomad Safaris in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.