Explore the back country roads of the Bay of Islands in a luxury, late model Jeep Wrangler with a maximum of 4 passengers in your group included in the price. On your private 5-hour guided expedition you will travel over more than 50% unsealed roads and see historic locations, panoramic scenery, subtropical rain forests and rural farming areas away from the crowds. Your tour is adaptable with no fixed schedule, allowing you to stop for photos, ask questions, take your time or relax and talk with your local driver.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Paihia Harbour, Paihia New Zealand
Travel the waterfront of Paihia township, past historic buildings before travelling inland to start your back country experience
Stop At: Ruapekapeka Pa Track, Ruapekapeka Road Ruapekapeka Pā, Northland, Kawakawa New Zealand
Follow the approximate path the British troops took in 1846 to reach Ruapekapeka Pa, the Maori fortifications, and site of the last battle of the Northland wars.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Towai 0182, New Zealand
Visit the historic Towai Tavern, moved up the hill from the railway line in the valley to get it closer to the highway. Here you can purchase traditional kiwi pub food and a cold beverage if you wish before you continue onto the next of the expeditions unsealed roads.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Motatau 0281, New Zealand
Passing through the Taikirau wetlands, an area of varying bio-diversity, will give you the opportunity to do some bird spotting in the reeds and swamp along the way.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Kawakawa Public Toilets by Hundertwasser, 60 Gillies St, Kawakawa 0210 New Zealand
Famous for its photogenic public toilets, designed and built by the Austrian artist Friedrich Hundertwasser, the town also features a historic railway that passes down the centre of the main road. If you are lucky a train may even pass through town and stop traffic.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Opua, Opua, Bay of Islands, Northland Region, North Island
Visit the seaside port of Opua for a final spectacular viewpoint of the Veronica Channel before your personal Jeep expedition finishes back where you started
Duration: 20 minutes
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A maximum of 4 people per booking (if there are 4 in your group then 3 will be friendly across the back seat)
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Vehicles can transport a collapsible wheelchair, however the driver is unable to assist passengers boarding and disembarking
- Access to some attractions may be limited for those with walking disabilities due to uneven surfaces
- A moderate amount of walking is involved to reach all attractions
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Private tour- only your group in the Jeep
- Local driver/guide
- Port pickup and drop-off (if applicable)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)
- Food and drinks (available to purchase at lunch stop, rural tavern)
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Rogue Pony Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.