This wonderful tour to Hobbiton, a scenic drive from Tauranga, takes us to the farm selected by Peter Jackson as a setting for his Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movie masterpieces. A guided tour will bring to life scenes from the movies, plus time to soak in the atmosphere at the Green Dragon Inn.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Hobbiton Movie Set, 501 Buckland Road Matamata, Hinuera 3472 New Zealand
Escape into the enchanting world of JRR Tolkein’s imagination – on a trip to the Hobbiton Movie Set and farm.
Intricately recreated after being used as a film set for both the Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit trilogies, this tour will take you to another world set deep in New Zealand farming countryside.
Whether you have read the books, seen the movies, or neither at all - this is one day you won’t forget.
Our expert guide will set the scene as we leave the Bay of Plenty region and climb over the Kaimai Ranges. Admire the amazing scenery before arriving at 'The Shire's Rest' visitors centre where your Hobbiton experience begins.
• Explore 44 Hobbit holes set across 12 acres of lush pasture and manicured gardens. You can even get pop inside a doorway for a souvenir photo.
• Learn inside tips from your specialist guide and get wrapped up in the fascinating stories they tell.
• Make a visit to Bag End, the Party Tree, Gandalf’s Cutting, The Mill House and more. For you movie buffs there are recognisable landmarks at every turn!
• Cap off your tour with a complimentary ale, cider or ginger beer in the Green Dragon Inn…where you can sit by the fire, admire the expert craftsmanship and imagine life as a hobbit!
This tour is provided by Tauranga's best Shore Excursion team. Also included on the itinerary is a stop at a local honey shop (with FREE tastings of fresh NZ honey and FREE honey ice cream), and a visit to a kiwifruit orchard to see how this quintessential New Zealand icon is grown.
Our team has been delivering world-class Shore Excursions for over 16 years. It all started with owner Ian - one man and a beloved Rolls Royce car. Today, the number of vehicles and tours has changed, but the philosophy hasn’t – every customer is treated like one of the family, and we will make sure you have an unforgettable day. We have over 100 years combined tour guiding experience so you know you are in capable hands (and if you’re lucky you may even get to travel with Ian – he still loves to get behind the wheel!).
Travel in a modern, air conditioned vehicle with a passionate local as your host. We specialise in smaller groups to allow an intimate and personalised experience. Every tour is guided and commentated from start to finish - our guides delight in showing off our little corner of the world. And, we guarantee to have you back to the ship on time!
Duration: 5 hours
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Hobbiton is open to the elements, and tours operate in all weather conditions (sun protection is recommended). Umbrellas are available for rain and shine.
- A moderate amount of walking is involved. Due to uneven surfaces and some steep inclines this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Please check with us before booking if you are unsure if the tour will be suitable.
- The vehicle size is usually 24-35 seats (smaller than the cruise lines), although smaller minivans are often used. Having 24-34 customers allows us to (usually) book a tour guide at Hobbiton just for us! This avoids the masses on the public tours that other companies use.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 35 travelers
- Experienced, professional and friendly driver/guide
- Port pickup and drop-off
- A tankard of Hobbit ale or cider at the Green Dragon Pub (non-alcoholic option available)
- A visit to a local honey centre with tastings and FREE honey ice cream
- Air conditioned transport
- Entry/Admission - Hobbiton Movie Set
Traveler pickup is offered
Please meet the Shore Trips and Tours representative at the Shore Trips and Tours sign board situated just outside the port gates. Walk through the information marquee and out through the gates - a short walk from your ship.
- Port of Tauranga Ltd, 2 Salisbury Avenue, Mount Maunganui, Tauranga 3116, New Zealand
5 hours 30 minutes
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Shore Trips and Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.