Take one of the most popular Shore Excursions in New Zealand - the stunning Taieri Gorge Railway. Travel one-way on the train from the glorious Dunedin Railway Station up through the Taieri Gorge from the comfort of your reserved seat. Listen to the informative commentary, or take in the open-air viewing carriage as it stops for photos. After disembarking the train at the half way point, you will then travel on a different route back to Dunedin to see the sights of this historic city.
Our team has been delivering world-class Shore Excursions for over 16 years - we have over 100 years combined tour guiding experience so you know you are in capable hands.
Travel in a modern, air conditioned vehicle with a passionate local as your host. We specialise in small groups to allow an intimate and personalised experience. Every tour is commentated from start to finish - we delight in showing off our little corner of the world. And, we guarantee to have you back to the ship on time!
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Dunedin Railway Station, 3074332, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
After meeting your guide in the private tour meeting area at port, we start your journey by travelling to Dunedin's most photographed building - the city's Railway Station. Completed in 1906 at a time when Dunedin was the wealthiest city in New Zealand - this Renaissance Revival masterpiece provides a grand start to your Taieri Gorge Railway trip.
After taking your reserved seats, you will enjoy a 2 hour train ride through the southern suburbs of Dunedin, across the Taieri plains, and into the scenic Taieri Gorge.
The train is air-conditioned, with tea/coffee facilities and toilets on board. Enjoy the open air viewing carriage while the train slows for those all important photos. A full commentary about the history and geography of the area is also provided by your on-board guide.
At Pukerangi you will disembark and be met by your driver for the return drive back to Dunedin. Enjoy seeing a different route as we traverse the Otago countryside.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: The Octagon, Dunedin 9016 New Zealand
Back in Dunedin we will enjoy the historic sights of the city. Once New Zealand's largest and wealthiest city due to the Otago gold rush of the 1860's, Dunedin still boasts some impressive historic architecture.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: University of Otago, 362 Leith Street, Dunedin 9016 New Zealand
On our way to Baldwin Street we will see Otago University - home to over 20,000 students. New Zealand's oldest university - it was founded by just 3 professors in 1869.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Baldwin Street: The Steepest Street in the World, Baldwin Street, Dunedin 9010 New Zealand
Last stop before we take you back to the port is Baldwin Street - the steepest street in the world. See how far you can walk up, and get amazing photos that seem to defy gravity.
Duration: 15 minutes
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- This tour is unsuitable for people with mobility issues. You will need to be able to embark and disembark the train, as well as the vehicle.
- There are 2 schedules for this tour. The first schedule is as described. The second schedule is a reverse option of the first. All inclusions remain the same.
- This tour is unavailable on any days when there are 2 ships in port (as the cruise lines book all the train seats)
- Most travelers can participate
- Please note tour vehicle usually has a maximum capacity of 24 passengers, but you will be sharing the train with other groups
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 24 travelers
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle
- Experienced, local driver/guide
- One-way ticket on Taieri Gorge train
- Port pick up and drop off
- Entry/Admission - Dunedin Railway Station
- Any food or drink - although you can purchase on board the train
5 hours 30 minutes
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Shore Trips and Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.