Full of the major sights in the Bay of Islands, this small group tour gives you plenty of stops and photo opportunities. Visit the historic Waimate Mission Station (entry included), Haruru Waterfall, Kerikeri Stone Store, Makana Chocolates, Paihia waterfront, New Zealand's oldest oak tree and pear tree, and more. Tea/coffee and cakes included.
What You'll Get
Our tour departs from Waitangi Wharf where the tenders arrive. First stop is the Haruru Falls, a breathtaking waterfall, its name meaning "Big Noise".
Next we head inland through farmland to the historic "Te Waimate Mission House". Built in 1832, it is the only survivor of three missions founded in 1830 by the Church Missionary Society and is a simple Georgian building, the Mission Society's first farm, and forerunner of modern agriculture in New Zealand.
After a short introduction by the volunteer guide, you are free to explore the Mission House, Church and Churchyard, then wander the extensive grounds with magnificent trees. The Mission Station is also where we usually take our morning tea/coffee and cake refreshments, though on some days we may visit a local cafe instead.
The region is also known for its successful horticulture and niche food products, so our next visit is to the Makana Chocolate factory to sample their hand made chocolates. There is time to visit the adjacent wood crafts shop and exhibition as well.
Heading through the township of Kerikeri, our final stop is at the Kerikeri Inlet, where the river meets the sea and is the location of the original Mission Station which was established here in 1819.
There are two significant buildings to see here, "The Stone Store" built in 1832, originally used as a Missionary Society warehouse. Over the ensuing years the building was reutilised as a trading post, library, barracks and boys' school.
Adjacent is "Kemp House", New Zealand's oldest building completed in 1821/22 by missionary carpenters and Maori sawyers. Kemp House was a family home of simple, Georgian design. It has changed little over time, despite bearing witness to many historically significant events. There is time for you to explore this very historic part of the Bay of Islands before we head back to Waitangi.
We can drop you in Paihia for sightseeing or shopping (free shuttle back to the tender wharf), or at the Waitangi Treaty Grounds, ($50 entry fee) - New Zealand's most important historic site, just a short walk back to the wharf to catch the tender to your ship.
Please note on some dates we may use larger 22 seat mini-coaches and also change the order of the itinerary.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- This tour is not suitable for users of mobility scooters or wheelchairs as there is limited storage capacity on the minibus.
- Please note there is limited storage capacity on the minibus for push chairs or strollers. You must advise us at the time of booking if you intend to bring anything that requires storage.
- Please note on rare occasions we may be required to substitute a different vehicle onto this tour which has 22 seats.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Small-group tour with local guide.
- Morning tea/coffee and cakes.
- Comfortable, air-conditioned minibus.
- Entry to historic Waimate Station.
- Visit Haruru Waterfall.
- Tasting at Makana Chocolates.
- Historic grounds of Stone Store and Kemp House
- Entry to Kemp House
Bay of Islands Yacht Club, Waitangi 0293, New Zealand
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Shore Trips and Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.