Towering peaks and cascading waterfalls - this has to be the spectacular Milford Sound. Described as the 'Eighth Natural Wonder of the World', this cruise will take you past the incredible Mitre Peak, Bowen Falls, Stirling Falls and Seal Point. See marine life in their natural environment as you discover the magic of this deep fiord.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Fiordland National Park, Fiordland National Park, Southland Region, South Island
Fiordland National Park is in the southwest of New Zealand’s South Island. It’s known for the glacier-carved fiords of Doubtful and Milford sounds. A beech forest trail on the sandy Milford shore offers views of towering Mitre Peak. Nearby, the craggy Earl Mountains are reflected in the glassy surface of Mirror Lakes. On the Cleddau River, the Chasm Walk passes over bridges with views of powerful waterfalls.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Milford Sound, Milford Sound, Southland Region, South Island
Milford Sound is a fiord in the southwest of New Zealand’s South Island. It’s known for towering Mitre Peak, plus rainforests and waterfalls like Stirling and Bowen falls, which plummet down its sheer sides. The fiord is home to fur seal colonies, penguins and dolphins. Milford Discovery Centre and Underwater Observatory offers views of rare black coral and other marine life. Boat tours are a popular way to explore.
Duration: 2 hours
Pass By: Mitre Peak, Fiordland National Park New Zealand
Mitre Peak (Māori Rahotu) is a mountain in the South Island of New Zealand, located on the shore of Milford Sound. It is one of the most photographed peaks in the country.
Pass By: Bowen Falls, Fiordland National Park, Milford Sound 9679 New Zealand
The permanent Lady Bowen Falls is Milford’s highest waterfall at 162m. Not only breathtakingly beautiful, without it Milford Sound couldn’t operate; with it being our sole source of power and water. Occasionally, in heavy rain or dry spells she has a few overflow and underflow problems, leaving us without electricity for periods but her beauty makes up for her occasional flow issues. She quadruples in volume during Milford’s epic storms – one of the best ways to truly enjoy the falls is to stand on the foreshore to feel the spray.
Pass By: Stirling Falls, Milford Sound New Zealand
Milford’s second-highest waterfall is the Stirling Falls, a staggering 151m in height – three times the height of Niagara Falls, but the 1,300m mountain behind displaces this incredible height. This is the famous waterfall that Hugh Jackman ‘jumped off’ in the movie Wolverine. The sheer drop of the Stirling Falls allows boats and brave kayakers to get right underneath – it’s an incredible feeling to have the power of 151m worth of glacial water falling on top of you. Discovered by Captain Stirling, Stirling who discovered the waterfall chose to name the waterfall after himself; less of a gentlemanly move than Captain Bowen who named the Lady Bowen Falls after his wife.
Pass By: Sinbad Gully, Southland 9679, New Zealand
Nestled behind the world famous Mitre Peak, the Sinbad Gully is characterised by extremely steep glacially carved walls punctuated by near vertical granite cliffs. These walls slowed pest invasion into the gully and as a result a number of unique native species remain in the Sinbad.
Southern Discoveries is passionate about preserving Milford Sound’s beauty for future generations which is why it’s a key partner in a major conservation project – the Sinbad Sanctuary Project.
The aim is to see the valley of New Zealand’s most photographed mountain (Sinbad Gully is at the base of Mitre Peak) become a sanctuary for native species.
Stop At: Southern Discoveries - Milford Sound Visitor Centre, Freshwater Basin, Milford Sound Highway 94, Milford Sound 9679, New Zealand
Here you will check in for your Milford Sound Cruise.
Duration: 10 minutes
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- All passengers please advise country of origin at the time of booking
- Car Park: On arrival at Milford Sound you can park at the Milford Sound carpark. Please allow 10 minutes to walk from the carpark to the Milford Wharf Visitor Centre. Alternatively a complimentary shuttle service is provided from Discover Milford Sound.
- Wheelchair accessible onto boat but no disabled toilets onboard. Vessel has large viewing windows, ideal for wheelchairs.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Infant seats available
- Car parking in Milford Sound incurs a $10 hourly fee payable only by credit card. There are a limited number of free car parks and a complimentary shuttle service available in the Park & Ride area. We recommend arriving into Milford Sound at least 1-1-5 hours prior to your scheduled cruise departure.
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 100 travelers
- Sightseeing cruise on Milford Sound
- Lunch (if option selected)
- Full commentary
- Tea and coffee are provided complimentary to all passengers
- Entry/Admission - Southern Discoveries - Milford Sound Visitor Centre
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Southern Discoveries in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.