The North Island of New Zealand is just waiting to blow you away, with stunning scenery, incredible hidden gems, hikes for days, and good times galore! The Big North will have you exploring it all. Starting from Auckland, travel to the far North, see Cape Reinga at the very tip of the North Island, where the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean collide. Spend time in the North Island's premier beach locations, experience intriguing geothermal landscapes, learn about Maori culture, stay on on a high country farm station, hike the epic Tongariro Crossing, and explore Wellington, New Zealand's capital city.
What You'll Get
Auckland to Paihia
Depart northbound for the relaxed seaside town of Paihia. We stop en-route at the Parry Kauri Forest Park to hug some of the world’s mightiest trees, the native kauri.
Paihia to Cape Reinga to Paihia
Our destination today is Cape Reinga, where the Tasman and Pacific Oceans clash at the northernmost point of the country. The trip includes a walk in a kauri forest and sand boarding.
Paihia to Auckland
Spend the morning at your leisure or take this opportunity to hike to the Haruru Falls or hang out on the beach. Then we jump back on board the Stray bus, destined for Auckland.
Auckland to Hahei
Depart Auckland for Hahei, renowned for its natural beauty and pristine swimming beach. If the tide is in our favour, you'll go to the unique Hot Water Beach where you can dig your own personal spa pool in the sand!
Relax on the beach or take a scenic walk or kayak to the nearby Cathedral Cove. If you prefer water sports go scuba diving, snorkelling or take a glass bottom boat tour.
Hahei to Rotorua
We leave Hahei early travelling through the Waikato region. You have the opportunity to visit the famous Hobbiton or continue on to Rotorua where there are plenty of other activities on offer. The Hobbiton goers will return early evening.
Discover an area rich in Maori heritage, adventure activities and bubbling geothermal wonders. Visit the Waitomo Caves or go for some whitewater rafting or zorbing.
Rotorua to Lake Aniwhenua
Depart to Lake Aniwhenua. Here you'll learn about Maori culture and learn how to cook a traditional ‘Hangi’ dinner!
Lake Aniwhenua to Whakahoro
Depart to drop lunch packs off at a nearby school as part of an inspiring community project On to Taupo to visit Huka Falls and then we head to Whakahoro. We stay at Blue Duck Station, a conservation farm.
Today is yours to fully explore! Go on a 4WD bush safari, horseback riding, kayaking or walk to the Kaiwhakauka waterfall.
Whakahoro to Raetihi
Today you get the chance to hike the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, considered one of the top walks in the world. This walk will take you across a rocky plateau with Mars-like vistas, dramatic volcanic peaks and turquoise lakes.Tonight we stay in an historic Nurses Home in Raetihi.
Raetihi to Wellington
Today is mostly an express day to get to Wellington. The afternoon is yours to explore the sights, Oriental Parade or viewing the excellent exhibits on display at Te Papa National Museum.
Wellington to Auckland (via Raetihi)
Today is an express journey from Wellington to Auckland. We stop in Raetihi and National Park on the way.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of 3 departures per a week operate all year round
- The pass is valid for for travel for up to 12 months from the first date of travel.
- Managing your pass: When you book only your start date is confirmed. You will able to download the Stray Mate app where you can view, book, amend all additional travel days for your pass. You can change your start, however you must 'start' travel within 12 months of the original purchase date.
- Accommodation and activities are not included with the price of this Freestyle Travel Pass. Pay as you go directly with the Operators on the day. However most travel days will include a free activity which will be explained by your Driver Guide (ie local walks and sight seeing)
- Insurance cover is not included in the price of a pass. We strongly recommend that you take insurance to cover you for cancellation, medical expenses, personal accident, personal baggage and public liability.
- Luggage is limited to one bag or suitcase per person (maximum weight of 15kgs), plus one day pack to carry onboard with your valuables. The carriage of any excess of oversized luggage is at Stray's discretion and must be approved prior to travel.
- This pass is subject to the Operators standard terms and conditions: www.straytravel.com/terms-and-conditions/
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- Most travel days will include a free activity which will be explained by your Guide (ie local walks and sight seeing). Optional Activities can be booked via the Stray Mate App.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 42 travelers
- Fun and knowledgeable Stray Guide
- Access to 'off the beaten track' destinations and national parks
- Transport on modern, comfortable air-conditioned coach
- A wide selection of free and optional activities
- Flexibility - stay as long as you like in each destination and travel at your own pace.
- Access to the exclusive Stray Mate App for special discounts
- Food and drinks
- Optional Activities
50 Fort Street, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
13 to 365 days
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Stray Limited in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.