This 9-day tour, will take you on an unforgettable adventure around the lower South Island of New Zealand with a knowledgeable local guide. The first destination is the iconic Franz Josef Glacier, where the journey to get there is just as impressive as the destination. We'll visit Fiordland, revered as one of New Zealand's most scenic national parks where we board an overnight boat cruise through Doubtful Sound, rich in marine life and untouched rain forest. You will have a two full days to make the most of Queenstown, the adventure capital of the world. Then you journey north to stay at the base of New Zealand's highest mountain, Aoraki/Mt Cook, the perfect place to enjoy a scenic walk in the heart of a dramatic alpine landscape. The adventure comes to an end in Christchurch.
What You'll Get
Day 1: Depart from Chirstchurch Airport and travel via the famous Arthur’s Pass and down to the West Coast. En route you will visit Hokitika, famous for pounamu (jade) before arriving in Franz Josef, home of the mighty glacier. (D)
Day 2: The day is spent in Franz Josef, a World Heritage area. As well as the glacier, the area is famous for its excellent walking trails. There are many great options but a guided trip (at passengers own expense) will enable you to get closer to the glacier. (B)
Day 3: Head down the coast toward Mount Aspiring National Park, stopping at Lake Matheson, New Zealand’s most photographed lake. On arrival in Mount Aspiring National Park, go jet boating. Experience the best in shallow water boating while skimming just inches from the riverbed, see pristine waterways, snow-capped peaks and native bush. (B, D)
Day 4: Your first port of call is Fiordland National Park. Located within the Park is Doubtful Sound, a true treasure of New Zealand. You will board a purpose-built boat and, with the help of a nature guide, you’ll see fur seals, penguins and dolphins. The night is spent on the boat, anchored within a secluded bay. (B, D)
Day 5: Departing midday we leave behind the stunning Fiordland to head for the "adventure capital of the world", Queenstown. Queenstown is a bit of a party-town with excellent restaurants, pubs, nightclubs and live music. (B)
Day 6 - 7: You have two free days to fully explore everything on offer. Queenstown is a great place to spend a few days, no matter your past-time of choice. Some optional activities may include AJ Hackett Bungy, Canyon Swing, Skyline Gondola and Luging (own expense). (B)
Day 8: Jump back on the bus for a short drive to Wanaka to spend the morning on a scenic bike ride around the lake. After lunch, journey through the picturesque Mackenzie region to the base of New Zealand's highest mountain, Aoraki/Mt Cook, where you have time for an afternoon hike through the stunning Hooker Valley or opt to take an alpine scenic flight (own expense). (B, D)
Day 9: Today, make your way through a landscape made famous in the 'Lord of the Rings' films. You'll stop on the shores of turquoise Lake Tekapo to stretch our legs and take some photos. You have the option to join a thrilling white water rafting adventure on the Rangitata River (own expense) or carry on to Christchurch where your driver will point out the city's highlights to you. Rafter will rejoin the group in Christchurch in the evening, where your tour officially comes to an end. (B)
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Minimum age is 18 years
- Quad Tour pricing is based on room share (4-6 people). Twin or Single package upgrades are available however upgrades do not apply to the Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise (Day 5) which is quad share for all tour types
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Travel Insurance is not included with this tour. It is strongly recommend that passengers have their own insurance
- Luggage is limited to one bag or suitcase per person (maximum weight of 15kgs), plus one day pack to carry onboard with your valuables. The carriage of any excess of oversized luggage is at Stray's discretion and must be approved prior to travel.
- As a private carrier, the operator can refuse to carry a person whose behavior is detrimental to the enjoyment of the group
- Itinerary Disclaimer: Itineraries are correct at the time of printing, however the operator retains the right to alter the route or itinerary if required. On occasion changes are made to improve the product or due to changes made by partners/suppliers. If a product, service or activity detailed in our itinerary is changed, a suitable alternative will be offered where possible. Components of our trip are weather dependent and the Operator cannot be held liable if some components are not available on the day of travel. No refunds will be given in the event of any delay or alteration in the trip resulting from severe weather conditions or a mechanical failure
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- Accommodation for 8 nights
- Experienced Stray Guide
- Transport by air-conditioned mid coach
- Some meals: Breakfast (8), Dinner (4)
- Exclusive Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise
- Jet Boat Ride in Makarora
- Scenic bike ride in Wanaka
- Pounamu jade factory
- Walk the Tasman Valley track, Mt Cook National Park
- Explore Lake Tekapo area
- Food and drinks - other than meals specified under inclusions
- Extra optional activities
All Stars Inn - Hostel & Hotel Accommodation, 263 Bealey Ave, Edgeware, Christchurch 8013, New Zealand
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Stray Limited in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.