Be prepared to be blown away by the places you will go and the things you will do while travelling New Zealand's impressive South Island with Stray. Start anywhere on this loop pass and hop off anywhere along the route for up to 12 months! You'll explore golden sand beaches, rainforests and glaciers, sleep beneath the stunning Mount Cook and get your adrenalin pumping in Queenstown. Ride a horse or white water raft through Lord of the Rings scenery in Rangitata, before whale watching in Kaikoura!
You can hop on and off anywhere along the route for up to 12 months, so you can see more and do more on your South Island adventure!
What You'll Get
Christchurch to Kaikoura
We depart Christchurch International Airport early in the morning for a scenic drive up the coast to the wildlife wonderland of Kaikoura. Spend the afternoon whale watching or swimming with dolphins.
Kaikoura to Picton
Continue north to the top of the South Island to our next destination Picton, nestled on the edge of the stunning Marlborough Sounds. Enjoy an afternoon free to walk part of the unbelievably beautiful Queen Charlotte Track, or just explore Picton's waterfront and town centre.
Picton to Abel Tasman
We cruise through the world famous Marlborough vineyard area to the coastal town of Nelson. We make a supermarket stop then make our way to our amazing and remote overnight stop right on the edge of Abel Tasman National Park. The next day is a free day.
Abel Tasman to Franz Josef
We make our way down the ‘wild’ West Coast to the spectacular limestone Punakaiki Pancake Rocks and blowholes. We’ll take a short stop in Greymouth on our way to the Franz Josef Glacier. The next day you'll have a full free day to experience the Franz Josef Glacier.
Franz Josef to Wanaka
See the amazing mirror-like Lake Matheson then travel inland through the mountainous Haast Pass and Makarora towards Wanaka. This is one of the most scenic drives you’ll ever do! We arrive in Wanaka late-afternoon in time to enjoy this picturesque lakeside town.
Wanaka to Queenstown
Queenstown is known in New Zealand as the ‘Adventure Capital of the World’ and the spiritual home of bungy jumping! Spend at least two days in Queenstown taking it all in!
Queenstown to Aoraki/Mt Cook
We arrive at the base of New Zealand’s highest mountain, Aoraki/Mt Cook with time for afternoon activities.
Mt Cook to Rangitata
Leaving Mt Cook, we stop to admire the turquoise waters of Lake Tekapo. After lunch, we will continue to our overnight stop in Rangitata Peel Forest. Tonight, we’ll stay in one of Canterbury’s original sheep stations.
Rangitata to Christchurch
This morning, you will have the opportunity to sign up to a top-notch grade 5 white water rafting experience on Rangitata River, nestled under the foot of the Southern Alps or to explore the stunning Peel Forest scenery on horseback. Today marks the end of your Stray trip as we arrive in Christchurch
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of 3 departures per a week operate all year round
- The pass is valid for for travel for up to 12 months from the first date of travel
- Managing your pass: When you book only your start date is confirmed. You will able to download the Stray Mate app where you can view, book, amend all additional travel days for your pass. You can change your start, however you must 'start' travel within 12 months of the original purchase date.
- Accommodation and activities are not included with the price of this Freestyle Travel Pass.
- Most travel days will include a free activity which will be explained by your Guide (ie local walks and sight seeing). Optional Activities can be booked via the Stray Mate App.
- nsurance cover is not included in the price of a pass. We strongly recommend that you take insurance to cover you for cancellation, medical expenses, personal accident, personal baggage and public liability.
- Luggage is limited to one bag or suitcase per person (maximum weight of 15kgs), plus one day pack to carry onboard with your valuables. The carriage of any excess of oversized luggage is at Stray's discretion and must be approved prior to travel.
- This pass is subject to the Operators standard terms and conditions: www.straytravel.com/terms-and-conditions/
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- Fun and knowledgeable Stray Guide
- Access to 'off the beaten track' destinations and national parks
- Transport on modern, comfortable air-conditioned coaches
- A wide selection of free and optional activities
- Access to the exclusive Stray Mate app for special discounts
- Flexibility - stay as long as you like in each destination and travel at your own pace.
- Optional Activities
- Food and drinks
Christchurch International Airport
16 to 365 days
Christchurch International Airport
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Stray Limited in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.