Get further off the beaten track and explore the secrets of the Far South of New Zealand! Discover a historic mining camp set deep within Fiordland National Park, where you'll find glowworms and bird life. Visit the iconic Milford Sound, and take a cruise to see cascading waterfalls, towering fiords and the inlet from the sea. Keep an eye out for friendly fur seals and dolphins! Next stop, Stewart Island, our paradise for the rare and endangered Kiwi. This is your best chance to see a kiwi in the wild, and the island is teeming with other wildlife too.
Hop on and off the route anywhere you like for up to 12 months, so you can see more and do more in these amazing destinations.
About This Deal
Queenstown to Gunns Camp
Today you are in for a treat. It’s an early start as make our way to Milford Sound, one of NZ’s most famous destinations, sometimes referred to as the ‘Eighth Wonder of the World’. You won’t want to nap on this leg of the journey as we drive past Lake Wakatipu and watch the landscape change from farmland to mountains, glacier carved valleys and fiords. There is time to do an afternoon boat cruise around Milford Sound to soak up this untouched world. Known for its rich marine ecology, it’s likely you’ll spot a few wild dolphins, seals and penguins. Next, we head for our unique Stray overnight stop, Gunn’s Camp, located in the solitude of Hollyford Valley. There’s no better place to enjoy an evening under the stars, spot glow-worms in the bush and listen out for kiwi bird calls in the night.
Gunns Camp to Invercargill/Stewart Island
We start the morning with a short riverside stroll through beech forest on the Viewing Gantry walk. Fiordland is part of the UNESCO World Heritage site Te Wahipounamu (which incorporates four national parks including Mt Cook, Mt Aspiring, Westland and Fiordland) and you’ll understand why as you marvel at the spectacular surrounding landscape. This afternoon we travel further south via Te Anau to Invercargill and on to Bluff, where you can catch a ferry to Stewart Island. NZ’s third largest island, Stewart Island, has an abundance of activities for the outdoor enthusiast, such as fishing, kayaking, diving, bird watching and tramping tracks. Those not going to Stewart Island will spend the night in Invercargill.
Invercargill/Stewart Island to Queenstown
For those who stayed overnight on Stewart Island, this morning is free for you to explore, meet the
locals, go fishing or enjoy some of the walks before catching an afternoon ferry back to the
mainland. Those in Invercargill will have the option to visit Demolition World (a world entirely
constructed from demolished buildings and recycled items), race your bus mates around a go-karting
track or walk up to the Bluff Hill lookout before reuniting with the island-goers for an express
journey back to Queenstown.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of 3 departures per a week operate all year round
- The pass is valid for for travel for up to 12 months from the first date of travel
- Managing your pass: When you book only your start date is confirmed. You will able to download the Stray Mate app where you can view, book, amend all additional travel days for your pass. You can change your start, however you must 'start' travel within 12 months of the original purchase date.
- Accommodation and activities are not included with the price of this Freestyle Travel Pass.
- Most travel days will include a free activity which will be explained by your Guide (ie local walks and sight seeing). Optional Activities can be booked via the Stray Mate App.
- Insurance cover is not included in the price of a pass. We strongly recommend that you take insurance to cover you for cancellation, medical expenses, personal accident, personal baggage and public liability.
- Luggage is limited to one bag or suitcase per person (maximum weight of 15kgs), plus one day pack to carry onboard with your valuables. The carriage of any excess of oversized luggage is at Stray's discretion and must be approved prior to travel.
- This pass is subject to the Operators standard terms and conditions: www.straytravel.com/terms-and-conditions/
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 42 travelers
- Fun and knowledgeable Stray Guide
- Access to 'off the beaten track' destinations and national parks
- Transport on modern, comfortable air-conditioned coaches
- A wide selection of free and optional activities
- Access to the exclusive Stray Mate app for special discounts
- Flexibility - stay as long as you like in each destination and travel at your own pace
- Optional Activities
- Food and drinks
Nomads Queenstown Hostel, 5/11 Church St, South island, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand
3 to 365 days
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Stray Limited in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
Need to Know
Fine Print and Helpful Information
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.