This 7-day small-group adventure tour is guaranteed to take you further off the beaten track around the wonders of New Zealand’s North Island. Departing from Auckland, you will visit Haihei and its famously beautiful beaches, Rotorua for cultural insights into the ways of the native Maori people and hike the volcanic plateaus of Tongariro National Park, to marvel at the dormant volcanoes and emerald crater lakes. You’ll get the chance to overnight on a high country station, where you will join a 4WD eco-wilderness farm tour, before paying a visit the capital city of Wellington where you have some free time to explore Te Papa (National Museum) before returning back up to Auckland.
What You'll Get
Day 1: Auckland to Hahei
Meet the group and head south east stopping at the famous Cathedral Cove. Accessible only by foot or by boat, this beautiful coastal spot is one of the ‘must see’ sites on the Coromandel Peninsula. Drive to the unique Hot Water Beach and dig up your own personal spa pool in the sand (tide dependent). Overnight in beach side cabins and enjoy a BBQ dinner.
Accommodation: Comfortable cabins, near the beach
Day 2: Hahei to Rotorua
Arrive into Rotorua around lunchtime, an area known for its Maori heritage and thermal activity. Take the opportunity to do some great optional activities like a visit to Hobbiton, white water rafting, zorbing or the luge. In the evening, you'll be welcomed into the authentic Tamaki Maori Village, where you can discover and learn more about Maori art forms, ancient rituals and traditions. Enjoy a traditional Maori hangi (feast) with your hosts.
Accommodation: Central City Lodge
Meals: Breakfast, Dinner
Day 3: Rotorua
You have a full free day in Rotorua. Here you have plenty of great optional activities to choose from, such as a visit to the Hobbiton Movie Set, white water rafting, ziplining through native bush, mountain biking and much more.
Accommodation Central City Lodge
Day 4: Rotorua to Tongaririo National Park
It’s a very early start this morning so we can make our way to the UNESCO World Heritage Site Tongariro National Park to complete the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. Trek through dramatic natural scenery past volcanic peaks, vast craters and stunning turquoise lakes on one of the most spectacular treks in New Zealand.
Accommodation: Alpine Lodge
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 5: Tongaririo National Park to Blue Duck Station
Today we head for the award winning Blue Duck Station in Whakahoro, a 7,200 acre high country farm that is both a working sheep and beef station and an environmental conservation leader. Take part in a 4WD Bush Safari and farm adventure, where you’ll explore this vast land and the New Zealand native bush, discover the remains of an unbelievable local history, and learn about the farm’s conservation efforts.
Accommodation: Rustic country lodge
Meals: Breakfast, Dinner
Day 6: Blue Duck Station to Wellington
Today we head to Wellington - New Zealand’s capital city, it is home to New Zealand’s parliament and the iconic Beehive government building. Check out the famous Weta Workshop or marvel at the natural and cultural wonders of Te Papa National Museum.
Accommodation: Central city hostel
Day 7: Wellington to Auckland
Today is an express journey from Wellington to Auckland. We stop along the way for photos and to have lunch in National Park.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Minimum age is 18 years
- Tour pricing is based on quad share (except at Whakahoro which is 6 share). Twin or Single tour packages are available, however these upgrades do not apply to Hahei where accommodation is quad share.
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- A moderate amount of walking is involved. Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions.
- Travel Insurance: Not included with this tour. It is strongly recommend that passengers have their own insurance to cover against illness, injury, loss/damage to personal belongings and inability to travel on the confirmed departure date
- Luggage is limited to one bag or suitcase per person (maximum weight of 15kgs), plus one day pack to carry onboard with your valuables. The carriage of any excess of oversized luggage is at Stray's discretion and must be approved prior to travel.
- Itinerary Disclaimer: Itineraries are correct at the time of printing, however the operator retains the right to alter the route or itinerary if required. On occasion changes are made to improve the product or due to changes made by partners / suppliers. If a product, service or activity detailed in our itinerary is changed, a suitable alternative will be offered where possible. Components of our trip are weather dependent and the Operator cannot be held liable if some components are not available on the day of travel.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- Experienced tour guide
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- 6-Night accommodation and transfers
- Some meals including: Breakfast (5), Dinner (4), Lunch (1)
- Walk to the iconic and very beautiful Cathedral Cove beach
- Maori cultural live performance including a traditional hangi meal and story telling
- 4WD bush safari / eco-wilderness farm tour on high country station
- Overnight at Tongariro National Park (+ opportunity to hike Tongariro Crossing)
- Free time in Wellington to visit the impressive National Museum - Te Papa
- Goods and Services Tax included
- Food and drinks, other than the meals specified under inclusions
- Extra optional activities
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Stray Limited in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.