This 17-day small group adventure tour is guaranteed to take you further off the beaten track around New Zealand. Departing from Auckland you will visit Hahei on the Coromandel Peninsula, and dig your own spa pool on the beach! Get adventurous or find hobbits in Rotorua before heading to Blue Duck Station, a farm with an inspiring conservation mission. You'll visit Lake Aniwhenua to learn more about Maori culture. You’ll get the chance to hike the Tongariro National Park before paying a visit to the capital city of Wellington. Then onto the South Island to see Abel Tasman's golden beaches, hike glaciers in Franz Josef and enjoy an overnight cruise through Doubtful Sound. Marvel at the landscapes in Mt Cook and release your inner adrenaline junkie in Queenstown! This action packed trip will give you the best of both islands, with plenty of activities, amazing sights and wonderful wildlife!
What You'll Get
Auckland to Hahei
Visit one of New Zealand's favourite holiday destinations and discover Cathedral Cove and Hot Water Beach (where you can dig your own spa in the sand).
Hahei to Rotorua
For Lord of the Ring fans, you have the option to visit Hobbiton (own expense) before an evening visit to Tamaki Maori Village for traditional performance and meal.
Full day in Rotorua
Explore an area known for it's Maori heritage, adventure activities and geothermal wonders.
Rotorua to National Park
Hike the world famous Tongariro Alpine Crossing (19km) traversing a volcanic plateau via the Emerald Lakes.
Blue Duck Station to National Park
Spend time on this high country station and learn about its strong sustainability and conservation projects. Buckle in for an educational and scenic 4WD Bush safari over the wild country side.
Blue Duck to Wellington
Option to tour the Weta Workshop or spend your time at Te Papa National Museum
Wellington to Abel Tasman
Travel across the wild Cook Strait via the beautiful Marlborough Sounds. On route to Abel Tasman, stop via a cellar door to sample some of the regions wines.
Full day in Abel Tasman
Explore one of New Zealand's most iconic coastal national parks. Walk the tracks along golden sand beaches or join optional activities like sailing or or sea kayaking.
Abel Tasman to Franz Josef
Drive along the West Coast of NZ to Franz Josef
Full day in Franz Josef
Option to do the Glacier Heli Hike or enjoy the local walks in the area.
Franz Josef to Makarora
Visit the stunning blue pools
Makarora to Doubtful Sound
Overnight cruise to the Double Sound - go sea kayaking, see and learn about the penguins, seals and dolphins.
Doubtful Sound to Queenstown
Leave the Fjordlands behind and head for the adventure capital of New Zealand in beautiful Queenstown.
2x Full days in Queenstown
Plenty of options here to bungy jump, skydive, go river jet boating, zipline or hike the mountains.
Queenstown to Mt Cook
Stop for a scenic bike ride around Lake Wanaka before continuing to the majestic Mt Cook National Park, home to New Zealand's tallest mountain.
Mt Cook to Christchurch
Stroll around the mesmerising aqua blue Lake Tekapo. You have the option to join an adrenaline fuelled white water rafting adventure (own expense) before the tour ends in Christchurch.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Tour pricing is based on Quad Share (except at Whakahoro which is 6 share). Twin or Single tour packages are available, however the upgrade packages exclude Hahei where the accommodation remains Quad Share.
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- A moderate amount of walking is involved. Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers aged 13-17 must be accompanied by an adult or guardian and are subject to the full adult fare.
- Luggage is limited to one bag or suitcase per person (maximum weight of 15kgs), plus one day pack to carry onboard with your valuables. The carriage of any excess of oversized luggage is at Stray's discretion and must be approved prior to travel.
- Itinerary Disclaimer: Itineraries are correct at the time of printing, however the operator retains the right to alter the route or itinerary if required. If a product, service or activity detailed in our itinerary is changed, a suitable alternative will be offered where possible. Components of our trip are weather dependent and may not operate. No refunds will be given in the event of any delay or alternation in the trip resulting from severe weather conditions or a mechanical failure
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 24 travelers
- Experienced Stray Guide throughout trip
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- 16 nights’ accommodation
- Meals: Breakfast (16) Dinner (9) Lunch (1)
- Experience Maori culture at Tamaki Maori Village
- Lake Aniwhenua: Kohutapu experience – guided tour of sacred Maori rock carvings, Marae experience, afternoon tea, ground cooked hangi feast and buffet breakfast
- Whakahoro: Eco-Warrior 4WD farm tour
- Take the Bluebridge Ferry across the Cook Strait to the South Island.
- Seal spotting in Kaikoura
- Thrilling Jet Boat Ride in Mt Aspiring National Park
- Overnight cruise on a custom designed ship in the Doubtful Sound - this is one of New Zealand's most premier off the beaten track experiences!
- Scenic bike ride around Lake Wanaka
- Goods and Services Tax included
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Extra optional activities
Stray Travel, Shop 2, Shed 19/137 Quay St, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
All Stars Inn - Hostel & Hotel Accommodation, 263 Bealey Ave, Edgeware, Christchurch 8013, New Zealand
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Stray Limited in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.