If you want to see all the Essential parts of New Zealand, and you’ve got 22+ days to explore, then the Essentials Freestyle Pass is for you! Starting from Auckland, you’ll dig your own spa pool at Hot Water Beach, see bubbling mud and hobbits in Rotorua, hike NZ’s best day walk at the Tongariro Crossing and explore the culture of the world’s coolest little capital in Wellington. Heading to the South Island, you’ll relax on the golden sand beaches of Abel Tasman National Park, before discovering the glaciers and rainforest of the wild West Coast. See the stunning views of Wanaka, before living out your wildest dreams in Queenstown. Heading up to Mount Cook, stay at the base of NZ’s highest mountain. Go white water rafting or horse riding in Rangitata and explore street art in Christchurch. Check out the wildlife mecca of Kaikoura before heading back up to finish in Auckland!You can hop on and off the route anywhere you like for up to 12 months, so you can see more and do more!
What You'll Get
Auckland to Hahei
Depart Auckland to Hahei, Coromandel
Free Day Hahei
Hahei to Rotorua
Leaving Hahei we head to Rotorua, an area rich in Maori heritage
Free Day Rotorua
Rotorua to Lake Aniwhenua
Stay at the stunning Lake Aniwhenua and learn more about Maori traditions as well as how to prepare a ‘Hangi’
Lake Aniwhenua (via Taupo) to Blue Duck Station
Our destination is Blue Duck Station, a remote high country conservation farm
Free Day Blue Duck Station
Blue Duck Station (via Tongariro) to Raetihi
Today, hike the epic Tongariro Alpine Crossing and spend the night in an historic Nurses Home in Raetihi
Raetihi to Wellington
Depart to the vibrant Capital City!
Wellington to Marahau (Abel Tasmann)
Catch an early Bluebridge Ferry to Picton then we'll make our way to Marahau, right on the edge of Abel Tasman
Free Day Marahau (Abel Tasman)
Marahau (Abel Tasman) to Franz Josef
Depart early for a full day of sight seeing and then head to the home of the mighty Franz Josef Glacier
Free Day Franz Josef
Franz Josef (via Fox Glacier) to Wanaka
Today, travel through the mountainous Haast Pass and Makarora towards Wanaka
Wanaka to Queenstown
Travel to Queenstown, known in New Zealand as the ‘Adventure Capital of the World’
Free Day Queenstown
Queenstown (via Milford Sound) to Gunn’s Camp
Milford Sound is one of NZ’s most famous destinations, sometimes referred to as the ‘Eighth Wonder of the World’. Later we go to our Stray overnight stop, Gunn’s Camp.
Gunn’s Camp to Invercargill/Stewart Island
Travel further south to Invercargill and on to Bluff, where you can catch a ferry to Stewart Island
Invercargill/Stewart Island to Queenstown
In the late afternoon we take an express journey back to Queenstown.
Queenstown to Aoraki/Mt Cook
Head to New Zealand’s highest mountain, Aoraki/Mt Cook
Mt Cook (via Tekapo) to Rangitata
Continue to our overnight stop in Rangitata Peel Forest.
Rangitata to Christchurch
Find some of New Zealand’s most modern architecture nestled next to some of our oldest buildings in Christchurch
Christchurch to Kaikoura
Travel up the coast to the incredible marine world of Kaikoura
Kaikoura (via Picton) to Wellington
Those heading to Wellington will catch the Ferry
Wellington (via Raetihi) to Auckland
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of 3 departures per a week operate all year round
- The pass is valid for for travel for up to 12 months from the first date of travel
- Managing your pass: When you book only your start date is confirmed. You will able to download the Stray Mate app where you can view, book, amend all additional travel days for your pass. You can change your start, however you must 'start' travel within 12 months of the original purchase date.
- Accommodation and activities are not included with the price of this Freestyle Travel Pass.
- Most travel days will include a free activity which will be explained by your Guide (ie local walks and sight seeing). Optional Activities can be booked via the Stray Mate App.
- Insurance cover is not included in the price of a pass. We strongly recommend that you take insurance to cover you for cancellation, medical expenses, personal accident, personal baggage and public liability.
- Luggage is limited to one bag or suitcase per person (maximum weight of 15kgs), plus one day pack to carry onboard with your valuables. The carriage of any excess of oversized luggage is at Stray's discretion and must be approved prior to travel.
- This pass is subject to the Operators standard terms and conditions: www.straytravel.com/terms-and-conditions/
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 42 travelers
- Fun and knowledgeable Stray Guide
- Access to 'off the beaten track' destinations and national parks
- Transport on modern, comfortable air-conditioned coaches
- A wide selection of free and optional activities
- Access to the exclusive Stray Mate app for special discounts
- Flexibility - stay as long as you like in each destination and travel at your own pace.
- Optional Activities
- Food and drinks
50 Fort St, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
25 to 365 days
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Stray Limited in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.