Complete your adventure through Rotorua with a traditional Maori "hangi" feast. You'll travel by coach to Tamaki Maori Village where your local guide will escort you on a cultural journey to the "marae" (Maori village), the life force of New Zealand's indigenous people. Take the opportunity to engage in an evening of local customs including a traditional Maori dinner feast.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Tamaki Maori Village, 1220 Hinemaru St, Rotorua 3010 New Zealand
Your journey through time unfolds when your coach travels to a pre-European village set deep within the forest, 15 minutes from Rotorua. Let this 3.5-hour tour and your imagination take over as your guide instructs you on the protocol for visiting the marae. A chief is selected, a song is learnt and the eerie cry of the welcome is heard before you enter the world of the proud warriors of the ancient Maori.
You will experience the powhiri (welcome ceremony) before you enter the village, with crackling open fires in front of traditional whare (houses). You'll hear traditional Maori instruments and watch the daily activities of days gone by. In the wharenui (meeting house), a Rangiatea culture group offers a powerful display of haka song and dance. Then, as new friendships are forged, dine on a traditional hangi feast, where the food is cooked slowly beneath the ground in earth ovens.
This is an amazing re-enactment based on actual events from history, with real characters, traditional arts and crafts, powerful song and dance while enjoying an authentic Hangi feast.
Duration: 3 hours 30 minutes
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Camera and Video usage is permitted throughout the entire evening experience.
- Collapsible wheelchairs with removable wheels can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 150 travelers
- Hangi Dinner
- Tour escort/host
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Maori performance in traditional meeting house
- Entry/Admission - Tamaki Maori Village
- Food and drinks, unless specified
3 hours 30 minutes
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Tamaki Maori Village in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.