Veer off the tourist trail to experience Auckland's west coast on a full-day trip to the Waitakere Ranges. Only 40 minutes from the city, you can amble through forests of ancient kauri trees to arrive at a beach covered in black sand, wind-lashed bluffs overlooking the Tasman Sea, and a hidden waterfall on a guided four- to five-hour walk. Along the way, spot New Zealand’s native flora and fauna, dip your toes in the ocean and refuel with a picnic lunch.
What You'll Get
After being picked up from central Auckland, you'll head west, passing through an artsy town called Titirangi, or 'Fringe of Heaven' in Maori.
Otherworldly sights abound once you enter the native rainforest of the Waitakere Ranges. Just 40 minutes from bustling Auckland, this enchanted world feels completely different with its lush vegetation and plunging waterfalls. If the dramatic scenery seems familiar, it's possible you caught a glimpse of it in The Piano, an Oscar-winning film by Jane Campion.
Learn more about the subtropical rainforest and the animals that live there during a visit to the Arataki Visitor Centre. From the visitor center, you can see amazing views that stretch from Auckland's cityscape to the west coast’s Manukau Harbour.
Take your new knowledge west to begin your exhilarating four- to five-hour guided walk. Wind your way through the forest of indigenous silver ferns and red-flowered pohutukawa trees (known overseas as New Zealand Christmas trees). As you go, learn how the plants were used for medicinal purposes by the Maori. Walk under rows of towering kauri trees as you make your way to coastal lookouts for breathtaking views of the Tasman Sea, which separates New Zealand from Australia.
Stop to enjoy a picnic lunch in a secluded bush glade, along a dramatic clifftop clearing, or in a sheltered sandy cove, depending on the weather.
After lunch, continue your walk through the greenery down to the west coast’s most beautiful black-sand beach. Stroll along the shimmering black sand to the soundtrack of a pounding surf. Dip your toes in the wild Tasman Sea if the weather is warm, or keep walking to reach stunning waterfalls.
Rest your feet on the return trip to downtown Auckland, where you will be dropped off.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- A moderate amount of walking (4-5 hrs) is involved over uneven terrain
- Please dress appropriately depending on weather conditions of the day
- Please bring good walking shoes, sun protection, swimming gear and your camera
- Please note this tour is not bookable for ages under 4 years
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- Snacks, hot and cold drinks
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Entry/Admission - Arataki - Waitakere Ranges
Traveler pickup is offered
Pick-up/drop-off within Auckland’s Downtown area including Cruise wharf
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the TIME Unlimited Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.