Uncover the treasures of the Matakana region, Auckland's food & wine-growing region. Just 45 minutes north of Auckland CBD to experience the farmers' market (Saturdays only), 2 vineyards, honey sampling and so much more. We drive through beautiful farmer countryside, stunning beaches, local fishing villages and quirky shops. Our tours are informal, full of variety and there is something for everyone here, it's not only a winery tour. The star attraction is Auckland's latest must do, Sculptureum. Take a walk through the amazing indoor and outdoor sculpture garden galleries - think art meets fantasyland! Morning coffee, a kiwi styled picnic lunch of fresh fish & chips (alternate options available) down on the beach are all also included. Optional stop-offs can include a craft alehouse, cheese-makers, or maybe try an artisan chocolate tasting to finish the day in style before we head back to the city for a late afternoon finish.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Tour Shop, Auckland Central, Auckland 1010 New Zealand
We head north over the Harbour Bridge and wind our way up the scenic coastline of the East Coast to our first stop at the Honey Centre where you will enjoy a fresh cup of coffee (or tea/juice) and sample manuka and other varieties of our local honey. We then make our way to Matakana village and the first of our wine sampling stops.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Ascension Wine Estate Matakana Auckland, 480 Matakana Road, Matakana, Auckland 0985 New Zealand
We visit two wineries for tastings on our Gold Tours. We usually include Ascension winery but we may select from Runner Duck, Omaha Bay Vineyard, Brick Bay Winery or Matavino depending on wine preferences. Matakana is famous for its boutique wines with its focus on traditional European grape-growing methods and lesser-known varietals produced with NZ winemaking skills. Expect to try Sangiovese, Dolcetto, Pinot Gris, and complex Bordeaux blends often only available to purchase from the winery direct. 3-5 tastings per winery visit.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Sculptureum, 40 Omaha Flats Road, Matakana, Auckland 0986 New Zealand
The Sculptureum Experience is edgy, fun and simply quite fabulous. Made up of three sculpture gardens and six art galleries spanning over 1.5km of flat paths, take an easy stroll through this inspirational space consisting over 700 artists works, bird aviary and rabbits. Visit the award-winning restaurant, and sample from their top-rated extensive wine list.
Admission to Sculptureum only included for all Gold Tours
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Matakana Village, 2 Matakana Valley Road, Matakana, Auckland 0986 New Zealand
On Saturdays, we visit the local farmers market, held weekly in the heart of the village centre. This is the place to experience fresh produce, dozens of food stalls, live entertainment, and to meet the interesting locals.
(Please note the market is only open on Saturdays)
Duration: 1 hour
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 18 years on Silver & Gold Tours
- At time of booking, Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- Dress code is smart casual
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Service animals allowed
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Please note, opening hours of our 3rd party providers, weather & traffic conditions in peak season are sometimes beyond our control. We reserve the right to reasonably change the itinerary if necessary and provide you with alternate options of similar value if required.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Some terrain walking may make this tour unsuitable for those with mobility issues.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 11 travelers
- Freshly roasted mid morning coffee (or tea/juice)
- Fish & Chips lunch on the beach, alternate options available
- Bottled water
- Honey Tastings
- Entrance Fee to Sculptureum Gold & Silver Tour
- 2 Wine Tastings for Gold Tour
- Entry/Admission - Ascension Wine Estate Matakana Auckland
- Entry/Admission - Sculptureum
- Entry/Admission - Matakana Village
- Silver Tours - no wine tasting, suitable for religious reasons or non-drinker preference
- Any food/drink sampling not specified at stop-offs
Traveler pickup is offered
We pick up from most Auckland CBD hotels and accommodations. We will arrange with you directly via email after confirmation.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Tour Shop 2019 Limited in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.