Explore New Zealand’s geothermal landscapes at your own pace on this independent Waimangu hiking tour. Follow rugged hiking trails through the Waimangu region, and take in top natural attractions like Frying Pan Lake, Inferno Crater Lake, and Lake Rotomahana. Trek past the unique craters and steaming geysers, and capture the spectacular scenery on camera. At the end of your hike, return to your starting point via the shuttle bus.
What You'll Get
After check-in at reception, enter the volcanic valley between 8:30am and 3pm to begin your self-guided 2.5-mile (4-kilometer) walking tour.
Follow winding footpaths through the geothermal landscape and admire panoramic views over natural attractions including Frying Pan Lake, Inferno Crater Lake, Lake Rotomahana, and the other volcanic craters which make up Waimangu.
Discover sweeping geothermal terraces, hot springs, and steam vents all set amongst a beautiful native forest and grassland, and enjoy outdoor adventure in the heart of the New Zealand wilderness. Along the way, keep watch for sightings of native wildlife unique to this geothermal terrain.
On arrival at the end of the hike — at Lake Rotomahana — return to the reception area by complimentary shuttle bus to bring your independent tour to a close.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Wheelchair accessible, please advise at time of booking if wheelchair assistance is required. Passenger must provide their own carer.
- Collapsible wheelchairs with removable wheels can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities.
- Admission Fee for Self-Guided Walk
- Guide Sheet
- Internal Shuttle Bus
- Entry/Admission - Waimangu Volcanic Valley
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Food and drinks (available to purchase)
- Transport to/from attractions
20 minutes south of Rotorua or 45 minutes north of Taupo.
First admission 8:30am every day. Last admission 3pm every day.
Valley closed at 5pm every day.
This independent tour returns to original starting point via shuttle bus.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Waimangu Volcanic Valley in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.