Nestled amongst a Geothermal wonderland sits the Living Maori Village of Te Whakarewarewa.
View the spectacular landscape of geothermal pools and erupting geysers as you join in a guided tour learning of our Maori Culture, History and Traditions that have been passed down through generations. Sit back and relax to the melodious sounds of Te Pakira Cultural performers as they serenade you with songs and dance from our people. Tantalise your taste buds with a Hangi Pie Meal for lunch. Our Pie consists of foods that have been cooked in the geothermal steam vents and hot pools, encased in pastry and baked in the oven. Our pie is served with a side salad, corn cob that has been cooked in our biggest hot pool Parekohuru, and includes dessert of steamed pudding, custard, fruit salad and cream, and or course self serve water, tea and coffee.. No visit to our Living Maori Village is complete with at least a taste of something cooked in either the steam vents or hot pools.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Whakarewarewa, The Living Maori Village, 17 Tryon Street Whakarewarewa, Rotorua 3010 New Zealand
• Located five minutes from Rotorua centre, Whakarewarewa is both an authentic Māori cultural experience as well as a geothermal experience all in one!
• Home today to twenty families, our village is the ‘real deal’. In fact, we have been welcoming and sharing our enviable way of life with visitors for over 100 years.
• Be intrigued by geothermal wonders including Pōhutu Geyser, the largest and most active geyser in the Southern Hemisphere. See how locals live alongside bubbling mud and steaming mineral pools.
• Take a guided tour for insights into Māori culture and legends. Learn about the origins of our village, including how life and tourism adapted for residents after the devastating eruption of Mt Tarawera.
• Learn how Māori residents live alongside their geothermal landscape, utlilising Mother Earth’s forces to their advantage for heating, bathing and cooking. Pop into our café and sample our world-famous Whaka Hangi Pie!
• Māori culture is best bought to life through the performing arts. Be entertained through our family concert group featuring harmonic song, dance, the world-famous Māori warrior dance known as ‘the Haka’, as well as twirling poi balls and traditional stick games.
• Explore our village’s walking tracks and see colourful steaming private hot lakes, unique flora and fauna, as well as beautiful views of our home from our lookouts.
Duration: 2 hours
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Infant meals not included - under 5 years meals are not included in the FOC entry. If you are wanting a meal for your infant you will need to purchase this.
- Child age is 5-15 year
- Adult age 16 years and older.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 40 travelers
- Lunch - Café open from 11:00-14:00
- 1 hour Guided Tour - 9.00am, 10.00am, 12.00pm, 1.00pm, 2.30pm, 3.00pm, 4.00pm
- 30 minute cultural performance (Show) Time: 11:15/14:00, 12:30 (Summer only)
- Free parking
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Tours commence at the left hand side of the Archway which is the entrance to our village. You will need to come to our admissions building on arrival to collect visitor guide maps, entrance stickers and any further information you may require.
Guided tours are at 9am, 10am, 12pm, 1pm, 3pm and 4pm, shows are at 11.15am and 2pm, and Hangi Meals are served between 12pm and 2pm. Our on site Cafe is open from 10am to 3pm in the winter, and 9am to 4pm in the summers.
Please note: additional tours and shows are added during our summer season.
90 to 360 minutes
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Whakarewarewa, The Living Maori Village in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.