Departs 3:00pm. A tour of Tauranga city taking in the sights of early european settlements, the battle of Gate Pa, views of the harbour, local history and how Tauranga grew to be the city it is today. Finishes with a complimentary glass of wine or beer at The Clarence boutique hotel. - RUNS OCTOBER TO APRIL ONLY
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Tauranga, Tauranga, Bay of Plenty Region, North Island
This tour will take you through some of the local history regarding how Tauranga grew to become the city it is today. Starting off on The Strand you will hear about Tauranga harbour and how it exisited before european arrival. Moving up to The Elms mission station you will see some of the oldest european settlement buildings in New Zealand and get an understanding of how Europeans became established in the Bay of Plenty and started to trade with the local tribes.
At Monmouth Redoubt you see will evidence of the British armies occupation of the area and start to learn about the New Zealand Wars and the significance of the battle of Gate Pa. Moving on to the battle of Gate pa sight you learn about the battle, how it unfolded, what happened later at the battle of Te Ranga and the laying down of arms that followed.
We then travel across to Matua to the reminants of the Otumoetai Pa site where there are beautiful views across the harbour from what was considered by the first Europeans to arrive here as the capital of Tauranga. You will learn more about the Musket Wars, how peace was brought to the area after much conflict and how the Tauranga has since developed to become the busiest port in the country.
Lastly we head back to the city to The Clarence Hotel to the site of the first government buildings in Tauranga and learn how the site was used by the local mission, the british army and the local government. Finishing with a glass of wine or tap beer to enjoy the atmosphere of Tauranga's greatest boutique Hotel.
Duration: 3 hours
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Service animals allowed
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Limited Mobility aid accessibility - please discuss with tour operator at time of booking.
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Passengers must be able to embark/disembark with minimal assistance.
- Infant seats available on request. Please discuss with tour operator at time of booking. (booster is on board at all times)
- Please advise if travelling with a stroller or mobility aids.
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 11 travelers
- 11 seater modern, clean air conditioned minivan for your comfort and safety
- Live commentary on board
- Local driver/guide
- Tauranga CBD accomodation pickup and drop-off
- Bottled water
- Food and drinks, unless specified
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Wicked Wanders Limited in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
7-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operators terms and conditions for this offer here. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised Goods and services.