Departs 9:00am. A must do for all Lord of the Rings fans! Join us for a magical journey to Middle Earth where you can become part of the wonder that was created called Hobbiton! The Hobbiton Movie set was used for the ‘Lord of the Rings’ and ‘The Hobbit’ film trilogies and is situated on a family run sheep farm close to the town of Matamata in the Waikato province. It is now a Tolkien tourism destination, offering guided tours of the set.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Wicked Wanders, Tauranga New Zealand
This tour starts with a scenic drive along the Mount Maunganui beach before heading over the Tauranga Harbour bridge, past the city and inland over the Kaimai ranges. We climb to around 500 metres providing spectacular panoramic views across the rich fertile farmland of the Waikato. From there we make our way towards Hobbiton passing typical New Zealand farms.
On arrival at the Shires Rest Cafe you are collected in the Hobbiton bus and taken to Middle Earth via the 1250-acre sheep farm. Your expert guide will take you on a 2-hour journey through "The Shire". You will be told the story of how the remote set was discovered and how Hobbiton is a living film set maintained by a team of gardeners and maintenance staff. It is the only purpose-built film set in the world where the public can go and experience it as it is in the movie.
After a break for lunch (time permitting) and shopping at the Shires Rest Cafe, we head back over the Kaimai range and make a stop at McLaren Falls, 190 hectares of pastoral and horticultural land set alongside Lake McLaren. We will take a 10-minute walk along a steam to view the picturesque waterfall (optional).
Our final stop is at Mossop's honey. This family business has been producing and packaging honey and products for over 60 years. There is an excellent live beehive display and informative panels tell the story from beehive to honey pot. There are lovely products to purchase and Manuka honey ice cream to try. Finally we return to the city cross the harbour bridge and return you to the beginning of the tour.
Duration: 7 hours
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Service animals allowed
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Limited Mobility aid accessibility - please discuss with tour operator at time of booking.
- Infant seats available on request. Please discuss with tour operator at time of booking. (booster is on board at all times)
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Passengers must be able to embark/disembark with minimal assistance.
- Please advise if travelling with a stroller or mobility aids.
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 11 travelers
- 11 seater modern, clean air conditioned minivan for your comfort and safety
- Live commentary on board
- Local driver/guide
- Manuka Honey tastings
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Bottled water
- Snacks - Free Locally made Kiwifruit Ice cream
- Food and drinks, unless specified
Traveler pickup is offered
Pickup from Tauranga CBD and Mount Maunganui accomodation
6 hours 30 minutes
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Wicked Wanders Limited in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.